Host cancellation

Pedro19
Level 2
Lisbon, Portugal

Host cancellation

I'm a host.

I write because I'm deeply disappointed with Airbnb in the way it handled the following situation:

I had a reservation (2 adults) expected from 1.11.2019 to 20.12.2019. After 15 nights, guests organized a party of about 30 people until 1:30AM, grossly disregarding house rules that prevented visitors and parties. As a result of this, and because the neighbors were very angry and threatened, I had no alternative to forcing guests to leave the house immediately and permanently, always in contact with Airbnb. Airbnb followed its policy, withdrawing from me the amount for the following nights, which was returned to guests.

Thus, the guests, in grossly disregarding the known rules and also unacceptably disrespecting the neighbors and the law itself, were not harmed in any way as they could simply use the same amount to relocate on the very day of departure. I, on the other hand, that had no fault that this happened, lost the money for the following nights and got the calendar unlocked, in November, not being able to make new reservations to cover the lost money.

The Airbnb supervisor's response was that Airbnb cannot (by law) withdraw money from guests from following nights to hand it over to the host when the cancellation originates from the host (even if it is the fault of the guest) and that Airbnb, in this particular case, was not unwilling to compensate me for budget reasons.

Unfortunately I conclude that the policy is wrong and that, even if Airbnb cannot (by law) withdraw money from guests to hand it over to the host, it must assume that expense for the host. I feel that, in my case, Airbnb simply did not want to compensate me, which means it agrees with this policy, because budget certainly is not the problem.

What's more, even worse, I think the image that Airbnb is giving to guests is that it's okay to break house rules in any booking because they get refunded and can continue to book through this platform.

3 Replies 3
Jennifer1421
Level 10
Peterborough, Canada

I agree with you @Pedro19. This policy is egregious, and wrongly damages the host while rewarding "bad actor" guests. The new "policy" document (released last Friday, under Airbnb Updates), was silent on whether the refund policy for precisely this sort of behaviour will change. Unless, and until it does, hosts will continue to bear the fiscal and social brunt of irresponsible and anti-social behaviour of guests.

As every guest is a member of Airbnb, and Airbnb is therefore responsible for accepting their membership, there is certainly room here for the cancellation to be initiated by the platform itself, thereby avoiding a host needing to cancel in such cases. If, in cases such as this, Airbnb took responsibility for their membership base, they could then certainly keep the funds paid by the guest who broke the rules, and allow the host to remain fiscally whole.

If I take out a gym membership, and am asked to leave the gym and never return due to my own gross misbehaviour, you can bet that the gym sure isn't going to refund my membership fees. Frustrating a contract always (in any world but Airbnb, apparently) always falls back onto the party that broke the agreement.

It is reprehensible that Airbnb does nothing about this, and continues to maintain their duplicitous, "but we're just a booking platform" stance, all the while setting rules, terms and conditions for membership.

Susan17
Level 10
Dublin, Ireland

100% agree with @Jennifer1421 .Airbnb's policy of refunding guests (and very often, rehousing them with other unsuspecting hosts) after they have caused untold financial, physical and emotional stresses on the host, is immoral, unethical and utterly despicable.

The only  hope we have of changing this and forcing Airbnb to treat us fairly in such instances, is to make some noise about it. A lot of noise. And I don't mean here in the CC, where you might as well be howling at the moon. Every single time incidents like this occur where hosts' homes (and livelihoods) are being destroyed and neighbours are being terrorised by marauding guests, and hosts are being shafted - financially, and otherwise - by the guests and  by Airbnb, we need to start making our voices heard. Loud and clear. 

Post on Airbnb's Twitter and FB accounts, shout it out all over social media, report to the relevant regulatory bodies in your region, and if all else fails - as it often does - take it to the traditional media. Airbnb are in an extremely weakened, vulnerable position at the moment. Their half-witted responses to the Orinda tragedies and Allie Conti's Vice article, have not been at all well received by the majority of onlookers, the eyes of the world are scrutinising every move they make ahead of the impending IPO/DPO, and it will cause serious, potentially irreparable reputational damage for the company, if word starts to circulate that this is how Airbnb is still treating hosts who have been the victims of anti-social, law-breaking, partying guests. 

Let's start getting the truth of how Airbnb really deals with these issues out there into the public arena, and it won't be long before they have their wings clipped, and their abusive and exploitative behaviour towards hosts curtailed. 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Pedro19

SCENARIO 1.

The guest books home with the moderate or strict cancellation policy.

His plans change and he is unable to travel or has to leave early.

He cancels and he is refunded according to the cancellation policy.

He will lose 50-100% of his payment.

SCENARIO 2.

The guest books home with the moderate or strict cancellation policy.

His plans change and he is unable to travel or has to leave early.

He breaks all the rules, throws a party, attacks the host, do drugs, get drunk, disturb neighbors, makes damage...

The host has to kick him out.

The host remains under stress, with dirty/damaged home and angry neighbors, with the empty unit and without income

But the guest IS REWARDED WITH A FULL REFUND!