Host is blaming me for what I didn't do

Norma137
Level 1
Eagle, CO

Host is blaming me for what I didn't do

I have rented a lot of airbnbs in the past, we recently rented a house for new years. We left it exactly the way it was when we entered. We are guest and we should always respect other peoples stuff. We only needed it for sleeping because we were out with other friends ALL DAY and ALL night. We left on new years day (January 1). Now 3 days (January 4th) later the host is saying we put paint on his couch and that he is going to charge me for the whole couch- Mind you the couch is huge. and the picture he sent me of the paint is the size of a dime. after talking to him for a while he insisted it was ME that left it. I don't know what to do because I swear NO ONE had paint. I am not paying for a couch- I even offered to pay to clean it even though it was was NOT our fault. 

What should I do? 

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Norma137 Well, your reviews from past hosts indicate that you're a good guest, neat and clean. Perhaps that paint spot was already there and the host didn't notice it before. Or maybe it's not paint- did anyone in your group apply nail polish perhaps? Or something else that might have left that spot?

Even if you or someone in your party did leave that spot, it does seem over the top to insist you pay for a new couch because there's a dime-sized spot- there's likely some way to clean it without damaging the finish and it was good of you to offer to pay for that. 

I'd just dispute the charge. Call Airbnb if the host gets nasty about it, ask them to take a look at your past reviews and the message you sent offering to pay for cleaning. The host would have to submit proof to Airbnb of the damage and cleaning costs to charge you anyway if you dispute that it is your fault, so it may not come to anything but empty threats.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Norma137

After defending a Host at the expense of a Guest incorrectly I may add (the Guest produced photographic evidence that completely substantiated his complaints).

I’m now wary about commenting on these issues, sufficed to say on the strength of what you say the host seems to be completely unreasonable expecting you to replace a couch for a single stop of damage…

I would like to hear the host side of the story though.

Aibnb Booked me an 8 day stay and informed me at 2:30 for a 3:00 check in? Thant's crazy !!! The poor guy ended up whith no where to stay and out 350.00 dollars. There isn't any one to speak to at air bnb . I have never even hosted. If anyone knows how to speak with customer service at airbnb Boston Ma. Please let me know. I think it's horrible what they did. I think the guy from Craigs list who talked me into airbnb is using me to scam money from people. He has been in my account several times minipulating it. He tryed to get my bank accounr info and I didn't even know him. How do I get off this site ??? 

@Mary1340 It's really unclear what you're talking about. Some guy from Craigslist who you don't know talked you into listing on Airbnb and somehow has access to your account???

The only way you would get notification of a 3:00 check-in at 2:30 is if it was a last minute Instant Book. Do you even know how to adjust your settings? Yes, there are many ways to contact Airbnb- look on the first page of the Help forum here, there is a huge pinned post 3 posts down with info on contacting Airbnb. Also a simple Google search will give you Airbnb phone numbers. Sounds like you need to remove your place from the site ASAP.