Host left me a bad review. How should I respond?

Peggy178
Level 2
New York, NY

Host left me a bad review. How should I respond?

A host has left me a terrible review and I’m not sure if/how I should responded.   I rented a 2 bedroom condo at $650/night. At the last minute my host told me the place wasn’t available and I was to be in a different place (in the same building.)    After check-in, I sent my host an email mentioning the lack of sheet for the crib and cooking oil in the kitchen as an FYI.   She responded that oil wasn’t included in the listing and asked me where I saw it.  To be helpful, I researched the listing and told her where it was.   In researching the unit I realized I had been placed in a unit that had been priced at $590/night at the time that I booked the more expensive unit.   For a number of reasons (bed configuration, windows, general suitability for a toddler) I had chosen to stay in the more expensive unit.   I asked her to refund me the difference and she refused.   She kept telling me that they were identical units and identical prices but they weren’t.   Even future booking dates showed the price difference.    She claims I was hounding her over the requested refund but from my perspective I was just responding to the questions in her emails?   What should I do?  I’m worried the review makes me appear to be a crazy person.   

1 Reply 1
Ava30
Level 10
Eureka, CA

As a host, if you wanted to book with me, I would ask you about the discrepancy between your previous 2 good reviews and this one that seems to go into way too much detail. The explanation you give in your question here would be good enough for me. You may not want to respond at all OR you could simply say "Future Hosts, please ask me about this review" or similar. If you ever want to visit the Redwoods in true northern California, hit me up. My home is truly kid friendly!