Host not taking initiative

Olivia19
Level 1
Singapore

Host not taking initiative

Hello there,
I am about to begin a trip (in 2 hours in fact!) and there is an issue the host has decided not to address - the first question I asked before reservation was whether wifi is provided in his apartment and he responded positively.
A few days before I was due to check in however, he got in touch to tell me that there is a problem with the Internet and he isn't able to solve it. A day before he says the provider will not be able to look into it until the day I leave, and that would be a whole 8 days of not having wifi access.
Since the start of the conversation, I have prompted him for alternatives and suggestions as to how we could go around this and told him I cannot be without WiFi as I need it for work and and of course, research for my stay in the city.
He has not responded to this, and I wonder how viable might it be to have Airbnb involved with the whole matter, or is there a better approach ?
I am likely to buy a sim card with data plan now, and it does not feel right the host does absolutely nothing to remedy the problem.
3 Replies 3
Allison2
Level 10
Traverse City, MI

Let the host know that you've found a work-around that cost $x and you'd like that amount deducted from the cost of the stay.  If he's not willing to do that, call Airbnb customer service and ask them to re-home you at another place. Wi-fi was was one of the advertised ammenities, and part of your reason for booking, and now he's not offering it.

Paul0
Level 10
Brunswick, Australia

Hi @Olivia19,

If Internet access is a requirement of your stay (as it is for 99% of us) and it is no longer available you can choose to cancel and book elsewhere. Whilst it could be quite reasonably out of the Hosts control they should be putting an effort in to find a work around.

Airbnb would be 100% fine with you cancelling it and if these conversations between yourself and the Host have been had via the Airbnb messages then a quick call to them will help solve it for you.

I'd suggest doing a quick check on alternative accommodation and then planning your next move in kind.

Hope it all works out for you.

Cheers,

Paul

---

Do not cancel, have the host agree that you both want to change otherwise you are stuck with the booking fee....call airbnb and have them rehouse you.