Host profile picture

Marilyn157
Level 2
Denver, CO

Host profile picture

While grousing as traveler, noticed some host have profile pics that are merely scenic photos? Do they have two profile pics- one as host and one as traveler?  Also is it ok to not have your actual face picture as host?  Thinking of changing mine.

7 Replies 7
Marilyn157
Level 2
Denver, CO

Oops , "while BROWSING, as traveler"....

No, not two profile pics. Many hosts prefer guests with clear facial profile pics and may even reject guests without them. Of course, you’re free to do the reverse as a guest, easier because you can see the host photo before booking, but the host cannot see yours.

Lynell0
Level 4
Murtoa, Australia

@Marilyn157 it's really up you.  Do what you feel comfortable with.  I have my logo as my photo.  Personally I think reviews are more important in judging a host.  As far as guest photos, well as you can't see them before they book, I look at the reviews mostly, and if they don't have any ( which may don't ) then it's the conversation that you have with them, that is most important.  But as @Lisa723 said there are host that will rejected guests without a facial photo.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Marilyn157  I like to see that my guests have a face photo- they are staying in my home and to me, hiding behind some picture of a cartoon character, a sunset or a plate of food doesn't feel very open or community-minded. It's incompatible with home-sharing, IMO. I also like to see that the person who arrives is indeed the person who booked. So because I expect my guests to be open about posting a face photo, I offer the same to them.

@Sarah977 you are absolutely correct.  When home sharing you should have a photo.  You should be able to get as much information about your guest as you can.  I don't home share, I have entire home listings and that is completely different.  My apologies for not thinking outside my square 🙂  

@Lynell0  Like you, I also go on a guest's past reviews and the way they communicate. You certainly can't make any judgement about a person based on their photo, unless it's something wildly inappropriate, like someone posed with a gun, or scantily clad or giving the finger to the camera. But thanks for taking my point that not being open about sharing a real photo of oneself is incompàtible with wanting to stay in a private room in someone's home and share the kitchen and other common spaces with the host.

Luckily, in 3 years of hosting, I've never had a guest who I had to ask to provide a photo- they all already had them on their profile. Maybe because most of my guests tend to have had accounts for quite awhile, since the time when Airbnb was more about community and sharing, rather than just some anonymous online situation, and usually book private rooms in a home, rather than an entire place.

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

I personally like having a facial profile picture as a host & as a guest. I like guests feeling safe knowing what we look like & I also appreciate guests that have a face profile picture for our safety & security especially since we sometimes check them in ourselves so it's nice knowing who we can expect.