Host requested $1750

Mike1255
Level 1
Orange, CA

Host requested $1750

I checked out of my Air B&B yesterday and today I found out my host requested $1750. He took pictures a some trash a bad left behind with this claim. He then lied in the text of the claim saying a had thrown a party at his house, when I didn’t. That he found drug at the house, which I had none. That his stove was broken, which it was working when I made breakfast before I left. And that I needed to pay for him to get an exterminator to tent the house, I have no idea why I would need to pay for that.

This has been very worrying, I denied the request for payment. It seems like a scam, his wife had previously asked questions that I now realize were said to figure out how much money I have. I suspect he is in debt and wants to shake me down for money. What do I do in this situation?

2 Replies 2
Kenneth12
Level 10
Chicago, IL

Well,  the first thing you should have done is step back,  assess the situation and any evidence you have for your position,   before denying the Resolution Center claim.

At this point,  if the host escalates,  they get to present their side of the story first and you look like you brushed off the claim.

You then get to present your side of the story.

I would stick to being factual,  proofread and review carefully before submitting,   and avoid making wild,  incendiary claims such as "I suspect he is in debt and wants to shake me down for money,"  which may reflect negatively on you.

This is a factual dispute.  Present the facts calmly and without embellishment,    and the facts should prevail.   Stray into personal accusations and needless hyperbole while the other party is calm and factual,   and you may lose.

I didn’t write any claims about in the denial of money. How do I prove that his stove isn’t broken. The only thing he has shown are pictures of trash. If he is willing to lie to such an extreme extent in the text I’m not even sure how a fact based interaction would work.