Host service fee hike

Nicola379
Level 1
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Host service fee hike

I booked an Apartment for over New Year in Spain on Friday afternoon.  Today i received an adjustment for £350.00. The HOST has not replied to my query for the price hike or another email i sent asking about the area. He is a superhost and seems to have received very good reviews. Is this acceptable to just raise the price after booking? If i decline do i loose the booking?  HELP

4 Replies 4
Steve143
Level 10
Limerick, Ireland

Hello @Nicola379,

That's not normal, acceptable and is against Airbnb's terms.

The conditions, amenities, house rules, price etc. existing at the time the reservation is confirmed form part of the contract.

If you decline the adjustment request the reservation and price stay as they were. That is, the reservation will still be valid and so will the original price.

If the host can't honour the dates or wishes to charge more because they hadn't set their pricing that's their problem and they have to cancel if they don't want the reservation. Of course they will be reluctant to do that due to the host penalties for cancellations.

If it comes to it and you feel that staying would not be comfortable you could send them a request to cancel. To do this you go to your trips, select the one concerned and click on "Change or Cancel" and select "Cancel" and then select the reason "My host needs to cancel". If the host declines the request everything stays as is but if the host accepts or ignores the request they will be deemed to have cancelled and you will get a full refund of accommodation charges and Airbnb guest fees.

I would report the listing and host by clicking on the little flag on the listing page and on the host's profile page.

Steve.

Nicola379
Level 1
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Thank you. I was a little bit shocked to say the least. I let out a property to and would never think to wait until someone had booked and then bump up the price . I will follow your advice

Nicola

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Nicola379 no, this is not allowed. Decline the price alteration. The host is probably hoping you will either accept the alteration or cancel so they can rebook at a higher price. Do neither. The booking is yours at the original price and the host will be seriously penalized if they cancel it.

Nicola379
Level 1
Aberdeen, United Kingdom

Thank you Lisa. I will go decline 

Nicola