Hosts liability when guests damage your property!

Charles111
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hosts liability when guests damage your property!

I loath the treatment hosts get when a guest has damaged your property  or lost a key. My experience is that if they stain a carpet that cannot be eradicated, hosts have to pay for it. I have complained and asked airbnb again and again but nobody but me will pay for it. £1,450! My other recent experience is a guest who lost the key. Airbnb said they'd sort it out but they didn't. I  naturally had to replace the lock and keys immediately for security reasons for the other guests. Neither Airbnb nor the guest paid for it nor will they repay me.  I did all they asked for verification but no, they refuse to help. What do you think of that? 

3 Replies 3
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Charles111 

Personally, I think it's sh*t, but I have learnt it's kind of a waste of time and just too stressful to be chasing Airbnb for minor claims. It would be better to factor in things like lost keys (unless are talking some kind of special, expensive key, or having to replace the lock) to the wear and tear and general expenses of hosting STRs.

Your expensive rug, on the other hand, is worth fighting for!

Charles111
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

I keep chasing them but they are like robots. Each person treats it like a new complaint and I get nowhere. Airbnb need competition so they can't ride rough-shod over everyone.

Lorna170
Level 10
Swannanoa, NC

@Charles111   You may get more traction on the cost of your rug cleaning if you apply to your own insurance company and let them know that AirCover was supposed to cover this kind of loss.  Years ago a guest damaged my refrigerator beyond repair and my insurance company chased both the guest and the other insurer.   I didn't care who ended up paying -- I got a new refrigertaor and my insurance premium and deductible did not change.