Hosts raised the prices over 100% after sending him a reservation request

Francisc0
Level 1
Île-de-France, France

Hosts raised the prices over 100% after sending him a reservation request

Hi guys,

my name is Francis and I wanted to ask for advice.

We have tried to book a room for a week and the reservation price was 840 euros. After we have requested the reservation, the host replied and said that the price would be Euro 1500 instead, because it is high season.

What can I do in this case ? Why is a certain price shown when we are doing a research and try to book, but then it goes high.
Is this normal ?

Thanks for your guidance,

Fran

69 Replies 69
Ira4
Level 10
Athens, Greece

Hello, @Francisc0

Sometimes it may happen because if the hosts have many requests for the same dates, they might increase the price. 

I don't know if it is common, I would imagine that it isn't. 

You can select listings with Instant Booking and so, you will be able to book right away with the price you see at that specific moment. 

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

My guess is that they had not updated their listing to reflect high season prices, and you enquiry brought it to their attention. Anyway best to book elesewhere that is at your price point.

David
Clare0
Level 10
Templeton, CA

@Francisc0@David126@Ira4 A host may change his pricing anytime up to the time a guest makes a reservation request.  At that time the price on the listing is what the guest is required to pay.  Asking for more money other than what was on the listing at the time of the request is a violation of Airbnb's Terms of Service.  Here is the relevant section of the Terms of Service: 

"Other Members will be able to book your Accommodation via the Site, Application and Services based upon the information provided in your Listing, your Guest requirements, and Guests’ search parameters and preferences. You understand and agree that once a Guest requests a Booking of your Accommodation, you may not request the Guest to pay a higher price than in the Booking request."

Of course the host can decline the reservation request, but it will count against their committment rating.  Also, if a guest suspects that the host is doing a "bait and switch" tactic, the listing could get flagged by the guest.  

Doing this is not good business practice. 

@Clare0   On behalf of hosts everywhere...thank you for taking the time to point out what is ABB policy. Shame on that host him or her!  Tsk tsk.  Thank you Clare.

@Francisc0  You did the right thing contacting the CC.  I also want you to contact ABB to report that host.  Thst kind of behavior is unacceptable and makes the entire CC look bad.  It doesn't matter if the host forgot to raise their prices over high season, they need to honor the price that is advertised!!!  This is also a red flag for how this hosts may respond to your concerns after checking in. I want to encourage you to ask the ABB rep to help you find another place...preferabley with someone who is a Superhost.  There is a good reason why we have earned that "hard earned" badge....

And if you ever find yourself coming to Hawaii....look me up, I'm the only host who makes a delicious homemade breakfast daily.....and every guests has said its better then any 4-5 Star restaurant they have been to.  (huge compliment to me).   Plus I grind my own 100% Hawaiian coffee beans too.   (My lising is called:  Hawaiian Breakfast & Aloha Spirit.  very easy to find.)

Airbnb Phone Number : - 1-888-326-5753

@Francisc0  Thank you for using Airbnb....there are many great hosts out there that would have never done that to you.  Please let us know on an update where you ended up enjoying your trip.  We would love to hear some good news.  🙂

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

@Momi0 Hi there! It's been a while! Hope all is well with you. 

@Francisc0, Actually I wouldn't take the time to contact Airbnb about this host since you can acheive the same result by flagging the listing using the small flag icon under the Save to Wish List area and selecting Other to describe that the host asked for more money. (This can only be done using an internet browser such as Chrome or Firefox, not the Airbnb app.) This will alert Airbnb's Trust and Safety team who will either provide guidance to the host or, if he or she is a repeat offender in this way, may suspend the listing. 

Thank you for responses to that  inquiry.  I am first time airb nb potential guest.  I am experincing  this situation right now.  I made a reservation today paid a deposit and

when the host viewed the reservation they indicated that they forgot that a special event  was

coming  on those dates. and forgot to change thier price on the listing that week. Now they want to cancel my reservation.  Should not they honor the reservation in good faith and with all

of the hospitality of an air bn b host that would be expected?

@Diana1085  That host's behavior is completely unacceptable.  You should not cancel, and you should bring it to the attention of Airbnb.  It's the host's responsibility to maintain the calendar and prices, and it's his or her fault for forgetting.  Don't cancel under any circumstances.  If the hosts cancel, they'll have to pay a penalty to Airbnb and will have their superhost status taken away if they have it or will not be able to achieve it if they don't.  In the meantime you should look for another place to stay, just in case.  Because if your host cancels, he'll raise the rate and ask you to book again at the higher rate.  Just say no!

I am trying to get air bnb on the phone now.  I believe the host has cancelled the reservation from the system as the date when entered says there is no such reservation>

@Diana1085  Yes, of course they should honor your reservation. It's their fault they didn't have their pricing up-to-date. 

This must be a new or clueless host, because when a host cancels a reservation, Airbnb blocks those dates so the host can't rebook them to anyone else as a penalty for cancelling a guest. So if they think they're going to be able to rebook them at a higher price, they're going to be surprised. There are other penalties that will be levied as well.

If they do cancel on you, there's nothing you can do about it, so you might want to start looking for alternatives.

I wish I knew this!!!  So it's illegal for them to change your quote once you are booked, right?

I did reservations early July and just yesterday she emailed me stating the same thing; she didn't check the prices for June 2020. She asked me for more money, I wasn't that happy but I accepted and paid. She was very polite and gave me a "good" price (she gave me the choice to decline and cancel if I didn't agree) but after doing all the math, it was too much: $242 more! I cancelled this morning and called Airbnb for them to refund me the extra $242 (the website is refunding the deposit they usually take) If I knew this, I wouldn't have cancelled and let her do it, so Airbnb would block those days for not honoring me my booked rsvp. Had to start looking for places and asked each of them if that was the correct price because I didn't want any surprises after I booked. I found a Super Host and he honored his price! I reported with the flag all of those who were asking for more money, including the one I cancelled. Now I know what to do next time. Thanks!

Thanks for your response but i do have an additional question as i had a confirmed booking and now the host is telling me they will cancel my reservation if i dont pay double as there is big event in town. What is to prevent the host from cancelling and rebooking property on another travel platform? Why cant I just accept the double pricing for now and then ask airbnb to refund me the difference after my stay as the host is acting against airbnb policy? Thanks! Jessie

@Jessie177  Yes, the host is not allowed to do that. As to what would stop them from cancelling and rebooking on another platform, hosts get all kinds of penalties from Airbnb for cancelling. 

No, you don't want to pay double now and try to recoup a refund- instead call Airbnb to tell them what this host is trying to do- they should either contact the host and read them the riot act, or refund the money you've paid so you can book another place.

Personally, I wouldn't want to stay with a host who does things like this, as the booking is soured from the get-go.

@Diana1085 Also read Clare's posts below.

it happened to me, a host cancels my reservation and says “it’s a mistake the price is 100% more because it’s high season” I believe a host has the responsibility to manage the price before high season comes, not after.

Now all the good places are gone and we have to look again. 

Airbnb shouldn’t let this happen and we as guest should leave a review.