How do I get a full refund when the host was not in contact at all?

Tj15
Level 1
Cincinnati, OH

How do I get a full refund when the host was not in contact at all?

Hello!

I've had nothing but good experiences with Airbnb in the past; however just had a very bad experience. It's Christmas Eve here (Indonesia) and we had plans to rent out a nice place with friends. We booked, received confirmation, payed, and contacted the host - Absolutely no contact was returned the entire time! The address on the listing was not complete (No street number) - And to top it off, both of the phone numbers provided were fraudulent even though the host was "verified". While the host had a few good reviews, I noticed the last one was negative and stated the host canceled and the guest has not received any refund after two weeks.

The host is: [personal information hidden]

I'm really upset about this as we had to scramble to fix our plans and rearrange.

I submitted a cancellation but as it's the day of (We were waiting and waiting to hear back from the host and had to book elsewhere) - Airbnb stated I would receive $0 for the cancellation. I submitted a claim in the resolution center for the full host amount - it wouldn't let me include the Airbnb fee; but I doubt that will go anywhere..

How can I go about getting a full refund - including the Airbnb fee? I find this all very ridiculous.

Would love if someone would shed some insight please!

TJ

5 Replies 5
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Oh dear @Tj15

If you look at BNB's rules it is very clear you should never cancel a booking unless there are extenuating circumstances such as a death in the family or natural disaster.

In your circumstance as soon as you had problems reaching the host, you could have called or contact BNB and asked them to either help reach out to the host or help find you alternative accommodation.

By cancelling on the day you will lose everything. However I suggest you call BNB now (full details of how to contact them on the 1st post of the forum you are posting in - currently just above your post). Tell them what has happened - they will be able to see through the messaging system that you reached out to your host many times and no address was provided. Hopefully they will provide you with a complete refund.

Colin51
Level 2
Ħal Għargħur, Malta

Hi TJ,

As a host, I have to say the first reply was correct that you should have called AirBNB immediately. However, it is by no means to late to call AirBNB to receive a refund. I believe the only blame that can be placed on you is not securing the information that you would have noticed as unclear (the address). However, after rereading your query, it seems to me that this was a last minute booking? If so....Im not so sure I would have booked with a host last minute who's last review was 'When I arrived to the airport I have been informed that the room was not available anymore due to problems. After 17 days I still didn't get my money back'.

I might be a bit dodgy, but this is an immediate red flag for me. Was this booking an instant book? If not, the owner had to confirm and pre-approve your booking. 

Either way, AirBNB will side with you on this as well as help to find you a new booking, sometimes they even offer to pay the difference for a more expensive booking, (especially if thats all that is available on this holiday weekend). Otherwise, they'll usually help you with paying for a listing that is up to 20% more expensive. The rest would be on you. Good luck, let us know what ends up of your travels.

Colin

@Helen3 @Colin51 Thanks both! I was able to call the Airbnb support line (A bit difficult to find! Had to check other websites!)

The case manager worked with me and provided a full refund, Airbnb service fee included, after a quick investigation.

Cheers!

Hello, I have tried booking a villa in goa from air bnb, my payment was successfull but when we contacted host he said he has no availability at the required time. Its more than 24hrs my refund is not credited till now. Can any one suggest is there any other procedure to get refund.

Call Airbnb. This was 2 year ago now (Almost to the date, ha!). I remember them being very helpful.