How do I report dangerous behavior?

Marianne25
Level 2
Sugarloaf, CA

How do I report dangerous behavior?

When initially I left my review for this guest, I didn't realize how strange the situation was. But after careful inspection of my property after she left, there was definitely dangerous behavior, and un-safe activity. She could have accidentally set fire to my property OR WORSE the entire neighborhood and forest. Fortunately, the only thing she left was a mess of ashes and moved things she should have left alone. She dragged a piece of "garden art" across the yard (10-20 yards) to the wood deck, for a fire pit - outside, under the pine trees, during a drought. She used all the firewood and all my fire starters (enough for 10 different fireplace fires) and a case of kindling (enough for 20 fireplace fires) when she was only there 2 nights. I can't tell if she ever used the wood stove in the fireplace, or just cleaned it well.
Now, I fear that if I confront her, she will vandalize my property, since she knows where it is, and how to get in. I have removed the lock box after my less-than-positive review.

9 Replies 9
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Marianne25  I can never understand why hosts write reviews for their guests before they've had a chance to inspect the property. How can you review someone's stay when you aren't aware of how they behaved?

I thought your review of her was a little strange too, actually. Was does "not good, not bad,  just different" mean?

I'd charge her for all the excess firewood she used up, did she burn the garden art, what was the purpose of her dragging it to the deck? 

Does she live locally? Is that why you're afraid she'll come back and make some scene or cause more damages?

You are correct - but it took longer than I would have imagined to see what she'd done. We had walked the property a few times, looking for evidence of the missing wood, but didn't see the old (obsolete/rusted/vintage) stove's drag marks along the dirt and snow until the light had changed in the afternoon. Then, what I thought was dirt before, was actually ash.

Maybe I can go back and change the review? 

I have learned my lesson (I'm new), and I will take more time (up to the allowable 14 days if necessary) to write my review. 

I don't know if she lives locally, but has stayed in the area before, so I imagine she's familiar with our valley.

Thank you for your comments and advice.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Marianne25

She probably took all the firewood home, akin to my guest who said they did not drink coke cola and yet manage to empty my fridge of all eight can of it.

I suggest that you remove your outdoor fireplaces as city folk have no understanding of the dangers of a spark or what embers can do in a forest in the dry season if my understanding of what you said, is correct?

Good advice. I'll remove what I can. I used to live there and it was still 'decorated' with my things. When the county inspected my property for my permit, she was looking for an outdoor firepit because they are illegal, but she also didn't think much of the old stove that was meant to be a planter. People can be quite innovative, obviously.  That thing has to way 200-300 lbs and my guest was supposedly here with her mom and sister...

Thank you.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Do you have CCTV or similar  @Marianne25

If not you need to install it at your entrances.

Have in your house rules that no fires can be lit outside of the property as the area is a high fire risk and get guests to confirm this via the messaging system when they book.

Yes, I will, thank you. I guess I have to assume NOTHING is obvious.

Marianne25
Level 2
Sugarloaf, CA

Can I change my review after the fact, to warn other hosts?

@Marianne25  You have 48 hours to amend your review, but only before it has been published. But if the guest has already left a review when you write and submit yours, or the 14 days is up, or your review has already appeared, no you can't change it. That's why it's so important to make sure you've checked the place over and said what you want to say before submitting.

Susan1028
Level 10
Oregon, US

I have a working wood fireplace and provide seasoned dry wood and set the fireplace up so it's ready to start with a simple match before guest arrival. 

Had a couple last week who decided they wanted more wood the next morning.  I figured they meant for their second evening and offered to bring some by in the afternoon. They asked if it was "cool" to get some from the wood pile.  I replied no, it's in a private, locked, off-limits area, and repeated that I would bring more wood over before dinner.

They decided to drag in drift wood from the edge of the bay--wet, muddy, with seaweed still attached--and try to burn it in my indoor cottage fireplace as though it were an outdoor campfire pit on the beach!  The only thing that alerted me was the sound of splitering wood---as the BF tried to break it up so it would fit into the fireplace.  My cottage is clearly a nicely decorated indoor environment with decorations found in my own travels, white walls and new everything, not a rustic musty dusty log cabin in the woods. The last thing I need is smoke damage or a chimney fire !

I was in shock---that anyone would do such an ignorant thing, especially after we'd already discussed it!  I had a relative lose everything after burning "green" wood that coated the chimney pipe with flammable resin and later set the whole house ablaze while everyone was asleep in bed.  They barely escaped with only thier robes and slippers in the middle of the winter. The house and everything in it was a total loss.

I was upset they'd ignored my wishes and had to think of a diplomatic way to handle it and document what was happening in case things went south.  I called ABB to report what was going on and was told to be very clear what they were doing was not allowed and it that did not work, to call back.

I explained to the guests the fireplace is only for ambience, for a romantic evening fire, and that only wood I provided was allowed, explaining the safety hazards, etc, and brought them enough for the second night.  They thanked me. Had a nice rest of the stay.  Left a lovely note in the guest book. Everything seemed fine, aside from the mess they left in the kitchen and the small pile of wet drift wood outside the back door...and evidence of illegal drug use, which is also against my house rules, knowing there was nothing I could do about it.  I cleaned up the mess and got everything ready for the next guests, affirming they would NOT be welcome back.

It wasn't until 2 days later I discovered (thanks to my dog) that my locked wood shed had been broken into, a bunch of wood taken, and the door left open with the light on. They were the only ones other than me to be on the property.  The shed isn't visible unless you go out to the back of the barn. It was dark and raining, with gale force winds, and the last thing I wanted to do was go out there...but my dog was insistent.  It was literally raining sideways with rain coming in, showering the inside of the shed and the wood in it.  Had my dog not alerted me, the light would likely have shorted out in the rain and caused a fire, destroying the shed, and the whole barn, tools, workshop, tractor, etc!

These were guests that seemed very polite, with photo, full profile, booked weeks in advance...who lied, stole from me, broke at least 4 of my house rules, and could have burned my place down.  There's no way I could have predicted this.

It inspired me to rewrite my house rules specifying fees for broken rules and I reported them as a safety hazard to ABB Support and in that option of the host review.

Haven't had a problem surrounding the fireplace since then, but based on feedback in the forums, I'm also not trusting there'd be any backup from ABB, even with thier advertised million dollar protection.  So, make sure you have homeowner's insurance with coverage for renters everyone!

No one can predict everything, and all I can say is, do more than a check in via messaging.  GO check in, and be thorough. I live on the property, and this still happened.  I've made a point to do 2-3 walk arounds/day when there are guests.