How do we ensure people read our listing and understand that it is designed to accommodate one?

Answered!
Michael2523
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

How do we ensure people read our listing and understand that it is designed to accommodate one?

We currently have an "accept rate" of about 73%. The problem is that people fail to read and understand that our tiny cottage (250 sq. ft.) is designed to accommodate one person, with linens and towels etc. for one. While most people seem to read our listing head which says Cozy cottage for solo traveller, there are others who see that we have a double bed and automatically assume that we would be willing to host two guests. We then have to gently ask them if they are travelling on their own and decline them when they say they are two guests. At the same time, Airbnb seems to penalize us by noting our lower acceptance rate in assessing us for superhost this coming quarter. It doesn't seem fair that we are being penalized even though we have had solo travellers who have commented (in a kindly way) on the relatively small size of our cottage. I can imagine that there would be more comments if we routinely allowed two people as guests. Any suggestions?

1 Best Answer

@Michael2523, I have a small studio unit attracted to my home. It is probably the same size as your cottage, only with a queen bed. The bathroom is very small and can only fit one person at a time. I don't even have any towel hooks in the bathroom :-/. While I do get some single travelers (mostly those coming for work in the offseason) about 90% of my guests are a couple looking to explore the area. It requires no extra work on my part and just costs a few dollars more (since I provide drinks and a snack.) You should definitely consider it. 🙂

View Best Answer in original post

23 Replies 23
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Michael2523 

Perhaps put it in the heading - something like "cozy cottage for one" - they might just notice that, but it is a common issue that potential guests do not read the listing description.  

Thanks for your quick response, Anne. Shortly after we started last December, we amended  the heading to "Cozy cottage for one"  because we received so many queries from people travelling in pairs. After changing it, the number of queries from pairs dropped dramatically. Perhaps we are not being realistic to think that that number would drop to zero. As you note, it is a common problem that potential guests just don't read the description carefully.  Sigh 🙂

Michael

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Michael2523, but why only one? If couples are drawn to your listing why not take advantage of that?

Michael2523
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

Hi Emilia,

Perhaps I'll get my spouse to change her mind down the road, but she seems intent on single guests. She set up the towel and hand cloth pegs for one and the storage for hanging up clothes is really limited to space for one. As we approach summer, we will also have to consider a little bit of outside space for guests to sit in the sun (yes, the sun does shine in rainy Vancouver!) 

My spouse may consider pairs down the road, especially if we find that traffic wanes a bit during vacation periods. We have had a tremendous showing during the winter and early spring  from solo guests, mainly travelling to Vancouver for work or in search of work. Thanks for planting that seed for reconsideration.

Michael

@Michael2523, I have a small studio unit attracted to my home. It is probably the same size as your cottage, only with a queen bed. The bathroom is very small and can only fit one person at a time. I don't even have any towel hooks in the bathroom :-/. While I do get some single travelers (mostly those coming for work in the offseason) about 90% of my guests are a couple looking to explore the area. It requires no extra work on my part and just costs a few dollars more (since I provide drinks and a snack.) You should definitely consider it. 🙂

Michael2523
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

Very interesting Emilia. I think we can expect to see more vacation oriented travellers in the summer as well and fewer work travellers in that time frame. That means , I suspect, there will probably be more pairs than singles in the marketplace. We are not so much concerned about additional expense (we already provide a range of food/fruit items. We'll see how my spouse responds 🙂 but thanks for the encouraging example. BTW, I notice you are from Maine. We also have a duplex we rent in the community of Cornwallis Park, on a former Canadian Armed Forces Base of the same name that was decommissioned in 1995. It is located about 10 miles from Digby and not too far from Yarmouth, where the ferry travels to Bar Harbour, ME. Lovely part of the continent and we hope to visit Maine, Vermont etc. some time.

@Michael2523, if you ever do come to Maine, send me a message! I'd love to meet you in Bar Harbor for a lobster 🙂

Thanks Emilia,

We certainly will!

Michael

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

@Michael2523, I will add my encouraging example to @Emilia42's. I host a space that is 6 ft x 9 ft, and mostly get couples.

I see your spouse's point: I love solo travellers, as they are often more self-sufficient and less fuss. 

But unique listings are very attractive to pairs, and I think no matter how many times and places you write "solo traveller", they will keep seeing that double bed in that cute setting and bash away at your acceptance rate. 

Michael2523
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

I think you hit it on the head. Truth is that solos are more self-sufficient and less fussy. But as Emilia has observed, probably we will see work-related stays subside 

(even in Vancouver) and more demand for couples. The one variation is that Vancouver's North Shore is home to all sorts of biking and other sport competitions and I already have two bookings from single bikers ready to take on 200 kilometre races. So far, we have been overwhelmed by the strength of the market response to our little place, which affirms the idea that many just want a place to lay their heads at night. That was certainly our own travelling experience last fall in Paris when our original host cancelled just three weeks before our visit, sending us scrambling for accommodation in a city where $500 US a night was not uncommon on short notice. Thanks to you and Emilia for your willingness to share your thoughts. It's also kinda fun!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michael2523  I also host Solo travelers only and don't think I'd want to host couples, even if I had the space for that. Solo guests tend to be self-sufficient, well-traveled, friendly, and good communicators. My guest room has a single bed and not even the space for a double without it feeling cramped.

"For Solo Traveler" is also part of my listing heading. While I've had a few inquiries like "So is it just for one person?", they have come in the form of Inquiries, so I've not had to decline, I just message back. A return message on an Inquiry is all that's needed, you don't have to Preapprove or Decline, you won't be dinged on Acceptance rate. On a booking request, you do have to Approve or Decline within 24 hours, but you can also just message back explaining that it's just for 1 guest at a time, and ask them to withdraw the request, otherwise you'll have to Approve it for one person, funds will be drawn from their account, and they will then have to cancel. If they don't respond within the 24 hours, Approve the Request with a message that hosts receive penalties for Declining, thus you are approving the booking, but for 1 guest only, as per your listing settings.

If you want to stick to one guest only, how about replacing that bed with a single? That should make it a little more obvious, if they don't see a photo of a bed that looks perfect for 2.

Michael2523
Level 2
North Vancouver, Canada

Sarah:

Really appreciate your advice on how to prompt a potential guest to withdraw. I only note that the decline seems to have some bearing on superhost because Airbnb notes that there is a target acceptance rate of 88% while our rate is running about 73%.  We are up for consideration as superhosts by July 1.

As for changing the bed, we moved a Murphy style bed from our house to our converted garage and so changing it to a single would be problematic. It's a good size for both small and larger guests so I don't think I would want to reduce that flexibility. But again, thanks for your advice on dealing with this situation.

Michael

Regards,

Michael

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michael2523  Murphy beds are so cool. I get why it wouldn't be practical to change it. But maybe you could make it up for the photos to look like it's set up for a single guest- remove one set of pillows and place one set in the middle of the bed.

But I do have to admit your charming cottage illicits visions of "romantic cozy get-away for two" 🙂

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Michael2523 

How do we ensure people read our listing.... ?

Michael, if someone would invent a gadget that would make sure that guests always read our airbnb listings 100%, this person would be a millionaire.