How set up separate passwords for login since airbnb doesn't allow two accounts

Answered!
Jane391
Level 1
North Kingstown, RI

How set up separate passwords for login since airbnb doesn't allow two accounts

I use my email address to co-host a property owned by my son. We use that property address as password. I want to list something of my own and airbnb will not allow a new account. Can I set up a separate password for for the second property?   This is my preference.

Second choice, can I change the email address to my son's address on the first property, and list me as cohost? Then, set up the new property under my own email?

Failing the above, can I set up the second property and not have my son as cohost for the second property?

Thank you for your help with this host-unfriendly company.

1 Best Answer

@Jane391 - Airbnb is set up to be host-centric (profile), not property-centric (listing). It is set up exactly to be one profile for multiple listings (the profiles are the "accounts".  The properties are not).  If you are currently sharing a profile with your son, you need to set up 2 different profiles - one for you and one for him. Then you need to be made a co-host on his property to be able to manage it. Then when you list a property on your own profile, regardless of your co-host status with your son's property, it is only accessible by you.  

In other words:

You have your own profile.  That profile will have a property listed on it (the one you want to add) and you alone will have access to edit and manage that property.  You will also have permission, given by your son,  to manage his listing as a co-host with whatever permissions he's allowed you to have to help him co-host.  

He has his own profile.  That profile will have a property listing on it (the one you currently have listed) and he will have access to that property to edit and manage. He will also have allowed you as a co-host to  manage it in whatever way you've both agreed.  

He does not have access to your profile (nor be able to edit it) nor will he have access your listings on your profile unless you make him a co-host of that listing.  

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4

@Jane391 - Airbnb is set up to be host-centric (profile), not property-centric (listing). It is set up exactly to be one profile for multiple listings (the profiles are the "accounts".  The properties are not).  If you are currently sharing a profile with your son, you need to set up 2 different profiles - one for you and one for him. Then you need to be made a co-host on his property to be able to manage it. Then when you list a property on your own profile, regardless of your co-host status with your son's property, it is only accessible by you.  

In other words:

You have your own profile.  That profile will have a property listed on it (the one you want to add) and you alone will have access to edit and manage that property.  You will also have permission, given by your son,  to manage his listing as a co-host with whatever permissions he's allowed you to have to help him co-host.  

He has his own profile.  That profile will have a property listing on it (the one you currently have listed) and he will have access to that property to edit and manage. He will also have allowed you as a co-host to  manage it in whatever way you've both agreed.  

He does not have access to your profile (nor be able to edit it) nor will he have access your listings on your profile unless you make him a co-host of that listing.  

Thank you for the detailed response. So, at the moment, it is MY profile and my son is the invited co-host. Can I fix this by just going in and changing the email address to his, and then telling him to add me as co-host? This seems as if it might work, and then I can create a new profile under my email (currently our account email). Thank you.

@Jane391 - if your son does not have a profile of his own, he needs to create one.  If he's going to pay the taxes on the income, he needs to set up the listing on his own profile. You cannot transfer it, he needs to recreate the listing on his own profile.  

Ok, thanks! A bit complicated, but...