How the h*** do I get above 4.6 stars?? :D

How the h*** do I get above 4.6 stars?? :D

Hi, hosts!

I've hosted for well over a year now, and my place is very popular. Booked almost constantly,  and things are going well. Here's the thing: I frequently get 4 star reviews! And the confounding thing is, these 4-star reviews are almost always accompanied by glowing verbal reviews!

People say things like "loved the space, perfect for our needs! Exactly as advertised. It was clean, convenient, host was friendly and super accommodating" etc etc etc - and then proceed to give the dreaded 4 stars.

I think because of my listing and description and price (low for the area, maybe the lowest) I attract people who WANT a "4-star" experience and are super happy to get one.

However, I'm sick of seeing the constant warning text from AirBnb about my listing being in danger because I don't meet the 4.7 minimum. I don't know any easy fixes. The problem seems "psychological" in nature. I offer plenty of extras: wine, beer and water in the fridge, a bag of snacks, tea, coffee, condiments. The TV is super nice with umpteen hundred channels and the bed is comfy. $1000 mattress with matching, stylish sheets and towels. Many people mention the extras and appreciate them, and then: Bam! 4 stars.

What's a poor host to do? There seems to just be something about the space itself that will not bring it to 5-star level on a consistent basis (although I get many 5-star ratings too, of course.)

Any sure-fire tips to add that little extra ratings-driver to my listing to get the sorely needed 0.1 stars to get to the coveted 4.7 points overall?

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Inge32 

It's the rating system which is failing in itself. If have the same issue, but it does not bother me anymore. If i would rate my own listings, i would give them 4 stars ! That is what it is and guests are very happy with it, especially about the "value for money" (staying in the local hostel's  dormitory room is more expensive !)

The rating system should be changed asap to something realistic, it is discussed many times in the community and usefull alternatives came to the table.

There should probably be a possibility of offering a "4-star" room, being up front that it is what it is, and that "4 star" is what you're going for. Not everything can be the Hilton, and both I and AirBnb are making money off my 4.6 star room, so what's the problem, right? I don't know how serious AirBnb is about potentially removing my listing for "low" ratings, but as long as they're making $$ off it, I assume they won't?

Anyway  - I put a lot of work into the room and it's disheartening to keep getting the message from AirBnb that I'm doing something "wrong" when 99.9% of my customers are in fact very happy.

I guess I just need to get over it.....

I couldn't agree more with this and have been saying it for a long time now! There is nothing wrong with 4 stars! Some guests want a quick place to stay with a clean bedroom for a good price. No fancy pillows or a stylish design. That to me is 4 star! But Airbnb puts this psychological fear into hosts that anything less than 5 is horrible and the 'warning' notices are crippling. Maybe hosts should start a "WHAT'S WRONG WITH A 4 STAR" strike?

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@Inge32  I honestly wish I lived above a convenience store.  I live in the only neighborhood in New York City without a single convenience store.  It's really annoying!  🙂

Taking your question to heart - you have a great listing that's better than a lot of places.  The honesty of the title is refreshing.  You understand, I think, that if you don't say "above a convenience store" right in the title, guests will come and express surprise that they're ... above a convenience store.  However, maybe it's the word "funky" that may be inspiring guests to rate it 4 stars overall.  It's really not that funky.  It's attractive and comfortably furnished, with every convenience a guest could need.  Maybe something like "Cozy room above convenience story, water views"?  (Do any of the windows look out at the water that you show in your "back yard" picture?  If not, "5 steps to water's edge" or some such.)  Being close to the water is gold.  

Sometimes you need to subtly tell the guests what to think.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Inge32  As long as Airbnb refuses to revamp its rating system, it falls to hosts to educate guests as to how Airbnb applies the star ratings to hosts. Some hosts are uncomfortable doing so, or somehow think it's wrong, but others of us do. Guests are told by Airbnb that a 4* rating is "Good", and of course, in a sane world, there is nothing wrong with being good. Guests have no idea that you get warnings from Airbnb to pull up your socks, or lose Superhost status for anything below 4.8- they think they have rated you well, and, in fact, they have.

So the only antidote is to somehow educate guests as to how Airbnb operates on the host end. Many hosts do this, in various ways, and there are definitely ways that you should not go about this, like telling a guest to give you a 5* rating, which can understandably be offensive and backfire.

There are several threads on this forum where hosts discuss ways they make guests aware of how Airbnb applies star ratings to hosts which might give you some ideas if you want to try. Here's one thread you can check out, and there are others: https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/How-can-we-Hosts-quot-educate-quot-Guests-about-how-the-...

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@Inge32   You can message some of your recent guests and ask  them what you could have done to get a five star review.  You can start explaining how the review system works, we  have done this in the past, most guests will not realize that 4.7 is the minimum base requirement so  if they give you a 4, airbnb considers it 'bad'.