How to cancel an instant booking as a Guest?

How to cancel an instant booking as a Guest?

We booked an Instant Booking last night, informing the host that we are traveling with 2 small dogs.  The host replied that under the House Rules we have to pay a 50EUR cash deposit in case of damages or if the dogs sleep in beds, armchairs and if hairs are lying in the apartment.  First of all the House Rules is in French and there is no Translation option on the Airbnb app on my Android so I wasn't able to read it before I made the booking.  Now that I am on my computer, I have translated it and it says a deposit is collected but it doesn't state how much (see below).  I told the host that the deposit and cleaning fees should be included in the Airbnb booking but she told me that it is only for guests with pets.  I want to cancel my booking now because I don't feel comfortable with the host but the host has a Strict Cancellation policy.  Dogs are dogs and yes, they will leave hairs on the floor.  I would do my best to clean up after my dogs but what if she decides that she wants to keep the 50 EUR, I'm screwed because it's cash and therefore I can not take it up with Airbnb.  Any suggestions?

Here is the translation of her house rules regarding pets:

"We accept small pets on request and to the extent that they sleep in their basket and not in beds and armchairs. We require a deposit when the people come with animals which will be returned if nothing is damaged, broken or damaged by animals or animals slept in the beds and chairs instead of sleeping in their basket or cage, or if pet hair lying around the apartment. This is applied for reasons of hygiene and respect for the following clients. Thank you for your understanding. Thank you for your understanding and good stay."

5 Replies 5
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Hosts should not take cash transactions, so Airbnb will probably cancel this booking for you if you contact them. Having said that, I recommend that you not do Instant Book when travelling with dogs so you have a chance to message the host before committing yourselves.

If the house rules state that a deposit is required, but it does not state the amount it is  not legally binding, particularly since you are considered the weaker party in the contract.

You should call Airbnb and speak to an assistant, explain the situation and ask them to cancel based on the irregularity. Please consider that not all assistants are intelligent or feel they have enough authority, so if you go nowhere with one just make another call until you find the right person.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Christella0

I agree with @Sandra126 that it is unwise to instant book when traveling with pets. It is a particular peeve of hosts that Airbnb does not allow any extra fee options and that is why hosts state them on their listing but can't enter them in the payment options.

Always better to contact a host first and be up-front before finalizing a booking. 

Better luck next time.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

AirBnB does not have an option to deal with animals beyond just accepting them at no cost.

Those who want to charge etc have to do a work around, in this case if you bringing dogs they will accept them but with a deposit and other limitations.

Says you needed to contact them beforehand.

If you do not wish to stay on this basis all you can do is contact AirBnB.

As an aside making abooking and not knowing what you are booking is probably not a good idea in any circumstance, especially when you know you have issues.

David
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

AirBnB does not have an option to deal with animals beyond just accepting them at no cost.

Those who want to charge etc have to do a work around, in this case if you bring dogs they will accept them but with a deposit and other limitations.

Says you needed to contact them beforehand.

If you do not wish to stay on this basis all you can do is contact AirBnB.

As an aside making a booking and not knowing what you are booking is probably not a good idea in any circumstance, especially when you know you have issues.

David