How to cancel without penalty

Jennifer734
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

How to cancel without penalty

Hello,

i have problem with with a potential guest and would like some advice--- I originally offered my apartment to a woman who wanted it for the first quarter of 2018, which sounded reasonable... however when it came time to book she wanted the place for 10 weeks instead, with a two week break in the middle.. he booking was for four people, but now it turns out that there will be five, at least for the first month. 

I am am not happy with this booking anymore- I don't really want five people staying in my flat and I don't want to take responsibility for this woman's items during her two week break, which she has started to ask me about... 

i have already tried tried asking her to cancel and she is unwilling to... is there any way for me to cancel this booking without loosing my Airbnb account? Because of how she has split up her holiday, it is now two bookings, not one...

does airbnb have a service where they can find her somewhere new that meets her criteria instead!?

thanks so much in advance,

Jen

5 Replies 5
Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Jennifer

This is simple, she has not excepted your original offer so simply withdraw it and say the changes she wants to make are not acceptable to you as Host.

I suspect, if you go through with this booking your nightmares has only started.

Regards

Cormac

The Explorer's Club Krakow III

Hi Cormac,

I agree with you, but I am worried that I will be suspended from Airbnb for cancelling 2 bookings. Is there way to withdraw the booking (cancel it) so that Airbnb will not suspend me? 

City-Limits-Ranch0
Level 10
Watsonville, CA

Does she have a confirmed reservation?  Is she asking to make changes to her confirmed reservation? 

If both are yes, you could just reject the changes and tell her clearly and firmly that

1) the fifth person is not permitted and if brought in the entire reservation will be subject to cancellation on the spot for breaking house rules and fraud.  (The fifth person will have to stay somewhere else.) 

2) she cannot leave belongings there if she is not paying for nightly rental. 

If  you don't want her reservation with the gap in it  at all then tell her she needs to either keep the reservation as is (since she would be  paying for the space each night she could leave her things there while she is gone) OR she can cancel her reservation. 

If you DO want the reservation with the gap in it you could say tell her that she would need to check out on the morning of the last day of the first part of the reservation and that  since you are going in to clean and will have other occupants for the two weeks, nothing can be left there.

Or you could accept the fifth person for an extra fee.  Decline or accept, up to you.

You can accept the proposal with the gap (essentially two different reservations) or not.  Up to you.

If she doesn't want her original reservation she either needs to propose changes you will agree to accept or she has to cancel.  She has no other choices.

If she is unreasonable and argues and refuses to comply with these simple rules, you can call Airbnb and ask them to find her another option, since she clearly doesn't want what you are willing to offer. 

You might want to talk with her (you will have her number if she has a confirmed reservation) since messaging is sometimes not as nuanced and clear.  Put all conversations in writing and send immediately so you have an Airbnb message thread to refer to.

If she doesn't have a confirmed reservation, just decline her inquiry or request.  No penalty for declining "not a good fit"  or "wants dates different than the requested dates" are your reasons.

Hello,

so so this woman has two confirmed bookings with a two week break between them... so my problem is that is I cancel both, I think that Airbnb will cancel my account. I had one other cancellation about one year ago, when I accidentally put my property on instant book and someone sent through a booking request that day, however it was cancelled 200 days in advance

Ive written to this woman twice now expressing my concerns and she is ignoring me... is there anything I can do to cancel these two bookings without having my account cancelled!?

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Jennifer734

I don't understand why you need to cancel.

1. Confirm to the guest that luggage can't be left inbetween bookings and she must take it with her unless she wants to block out the dates inbetween her bookings. There are lots of places in London where she can leave her luggage.

2. If your place takes a maximum of four, then confirm to her that there is a limit of four guests and that the extra person will not be allowed to stay.

Not sure whether you are on the premises or it is remote. If it is remote I have you have CCTV or similar to monitor guests coming and going. This will help you see if they break your rules.

Do make sure everything is recording on Airbnb messaging.