I AM A SMOKER

Jean110
Level 2
Las Vegas, NV

I AM A SMOKER

I AM NEW HOST. I HAVE IN MY LISTING THAT I AM A SMOKER. ALTHOUGH I DONT SMOKE IN THE HOUSE,  I DO SMOKE IN THE GARAGE. THE LAST TWO RENTERS HAVE PUT ME AT FOUR STARS FOR ODOR  BECAUSE THEY BOTH WALKED OUT INTO THE GARAGE TO ASK ME SOMETHING.  I ALSO  HAVE MY GARAGE AS OFF LIMITLS..  I AM REALLY AWARE OF SMOKE AND TRY MY HARDEST TO NOT LET IF EFFECT ANYONE ELSE.  I KEEP EVERTHING SPOTLESS AND I LITERALLY CLEAN THREE HOURS A DAY. PLUS I HAVE A CLEANING SERVICE COME IN EVERY FRIDAY,  SO HAVING MY CLEANLINESS COMING UP NOT TO PAR IS REALLY INSULTING AND EMBARRASSING.  SHOULD I REQUEST ONLY SMOKERS STAY HERE?   

3 Replies 3
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Jean110

1. I wouldn't put it as a smoking house if you don't smoke in there, you will put a lot of people off.

2. You could put a friendly note on the garage door that it's not part of the shared space. If people want something urgently they can call you. If you lock it from the inside they can't just 'walk in'.

However if the smell of the smoke is coming from the garage into the house, you will just need to smoke in your garden while guests are here.

To be honest having a cleaning service and cleaning three hours a day sounds rather OTT. I am sure there are nicer ways to spend your time.

@Tj0

This can be a hard situation for smokers and non-smokers. I am a former smoker of many years ago.  When we first started with Airbnb we allowed smoking outside of the apartment.  We then had some guests who did smoke and followed the house rules.  The bad part was even though they were smoking on the other side of our house; we could smell it in our area even with the windows closed. 

Also, after the guests who did smoke outside left, the next guests (after a good cleaning and 3 days later) commented to us about the smell of stale smoke especially in the bedroom/closet of the apartment.  Realizing that the smell of smoke is on clothing and items that guests have we have changed our house rules to no smoking anywhere on the property and suggest that it is best suited for non-smokers.  The last several guests have commented to us that it was one of the positive reasons they chose our listing. 

I don’t think you would want to advertise for guests who smoke, instead mention it in your listing in at least two or three places, that there is a smoking area just outside of the place to help alert potential guests who are sensitive to smoke.  I don’t think it is fair they marked you down for that but guests are funny.   I think it is nice to have choices for all when using Airbnb.

Your listing looks great, continued good luck.

Phil82
Level 4
Adelaide, Australia

Please support my post for adding a  check-box to guests and hosts pages re whether they smoke or not, so that they get matched appropriately. 

Self matching clearly isn't working.

Also keep sending messages to AirBnB support to request they add this feature.

They will get the message if we keep asking for it.

Never give up on this and it WILL happen.

Cheers,

Phil

🙂