Marijuana smokers

Marijuana smokers

Good morning everyone

I like some advice if you encounter the same experience we are right now...

Have a group booking our home (instant booking, since then I changed it to I will confirm or not if I like a guest to book or not and rather loose a booking that not sleeping because of a bad intuition)

So 8 guests checked in yesterday. For some reason I was telling my husband I have a weird feeling about them when they booked

I welcomed them and give them access to my property.

Few minutes later the guest called me, her boyfriend was on the phone asking me if they could smoke Marijuana.

I responsded NO because right after their stay we are expecting a family with small children!

7am this morning music in the backyard was loud enough to wake me up (our home is next door)

What would you do if they were your guest?

Yesterday I really wanted to ask them to leave but they paid and I did not know what to do.

On my Description, I specified NO PARTY allowed, property is DRUG FREE

I am hoping right now that I am worried for nothing, being frustrated...

Any suggestion or comment will be very very appreciated

thank you

Annie

10 Replies 10
Ephraim0
Level 10
New York, NY

@Annie108 First I would like to say as I was once a new host I also started with instant-book and learned very quickly how dangerous it is. In one month on instant book I was placed in a dangerous situation with one guest, and another that vandalized my property. So good for you on protecting the best way you can your family, neighbors, and property. I also have a no drug use policy. However while I do not condone drug use, I live in NYC and I smell it outside almost daily when I walk my dog I personally do not find it offensive (as long as it is not in my home or immediatly outside my home). That said it is your home, and you have every right to cancel mid-reservation IF your rules have been broken. But you MUST call airbnb and let them know, so they can help you proceed correctly and it is documented. Also I would send a message through airbnb to the guest documenting the issue.

In this instance the guest was decent in my opinion and asked you. It has become acceptable in many areas throughout the states to smoke marijuana and in many staes its outright legal. But I certainly understand your position as I was raised with very concervative values. To my parents there is no difference between marijuana and Herion. Drugs are drugs. I am a bit more liberal in thought. I would be comforted by the fact that they had the decency to ask. So I see that as a plus. I would not cancel the reservation but I would tell them at what times or if ever it is ok to play loud music on the property.

MarkandAnne0
Level 2
Conway, AR

Contact AirBnB as soon as anyone breaks your rules. Doesn't matter if they've paid . AirBnB would more thank likely contact them And tell them to leave and you would keep deposit and maybe their fee/ money for rental. 

@MarkandAnne0 - that's not correct - Airbnb would refund the guest based on the cancellation policy in place by the host.  You do not get to keep a deposit unless there is damage and you can prove the guest was responsible.  https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/43/what-happens-if-my-guest-cancels

That link doesnt really pertain to the situation described 

when I've had a problem with a potential guest that has not shown up and contacted AirBnB they've been very helpful. 

Jillian12
Level 1
Santa Barbara, CA

Hi Annie,

I've been hosting for many years and I am an introvert and don't like confrontation.  I learned very quickly that strong boundaries are my friend.  Spelling out the rules in a nice but clear way, and then going over and knocking on the door REALLY helps in situations like these.  You can explain that noise that you can hear next door is not acceptable at 7am.  Let them know what IS acceptable, in clear terms.  Thank them for asking about the smoking, and explain why it isn't ok in your house.  Most people respond in a positive manner.  

I always remind myself that is my HOME and they are GUESTS.  As much as I like and respect humanity, I have found that taking an approach with guests that is a bit like talking with my teenagers (not in a condescending way, in a clear way that makes no assumptions that they know what I expect from them) has helped immensely.  I have no apologies about drawing clear lines, and everyone is happier for it, just like teenagers, in the end, feel more secure when they know where the edges of the container are.

I've enjoyed hosting and having guests.  Whenever these things happen, my partner encourages me to communicate with the guests directly and invariably, it ALWAYS helps.

🙂

Do you live in a state where marijuana is legal? Are your guests from a state where it is or does the guest carry a medical marijuana card?  The fact that they asked for permission probably means they don't, but you can't assume.  

The fact that they woke you at 7am with loud music can be addressed by talking with them.  Go over to inspect the home and see if they are violating any of your house rules.  

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

When you first heard the party noise I would have contacted the guest and reminded them that the house rules clearly states no parties. I would also have reminded guests about this and the no smoking rules when showing them around.

Go and speak to them if you haven't already. If you don't feel comfortable that they will amend their behaviour. Call BNB and ask them to find the guests somewhere else as they have broken your house rules.

You should still be paid in line with your cancellation policy.

Red3
Level 2
Miami, FL

I had a similar situation just this week. Upon cleaning after my guest I discovered that he smoked aome weed. I personally don't mind. But my rules clearly say no smoking of any kind. Plus it's still illegal in Florida. Would this invoice any problems I would be liable. 

Bonnie48
Level 1
Fort Collins, CO

Legal or illegal in the state it is still illegal according to federal law.  I clearly state that under house rules that it is not allowed on my property.  This protects me that if for some reason the DIA was following someone that happened to stay at my house I would be protected by having this in my ad.  In addition my daughter had someone stay at her house for  a week and although they did not smoke it in her house they had it out in the open on the desk.  When they left the room reaked of marijuana.  She had to wash all the linens including the bed skirt and curtains and shampoo the carpet to remove the smell.  Thank goodness she didn't have someone coming in that night to stay or she would have had to cancel because of the odor.  I just try to elimanate the problem before having to be faced with it.  Before this happened to my daughter I had no problem if someone brought it into my house as long as they didn't smoke it.  Now I know better.

Phil82
Level 4
Adelaide, Australia

Please support my post for adding a  check-box to guests and hosts pages re whether they smoke or not. 

Also keep sending messages to AirBnB support to request they add this feature.

They will getteh message if we keep asking for it

Never give up on this and it WILL happen

Cheers

Phil