I am considering adding an Alexa device to my rental. Looking for opinions, advise etc. Thanks

Julie660
Level 4
Rockford, IL

I am considering adding an Alexa device to my rental. Looking for opinions, advise etc. Thanks

Have you already added Alexa or other home automation to your rentals?  It's becoming so common and inexpensive and in my area it may help set me a part from other rentals.  Thanks in advance for the advise!  Julie

7 Replies 7
Denis-Mark0
Level 10
Lahnstein, Germany

@Julie660 I'm absolute fan of home automation - in my private home. Echo dots in every room, smart lighting, smart heating, etc.

But I would only consider adding smart home tools to my rentals that are very easy to handle and/or give me control about my rental when I'm not there. The more technic you add the more has to be explained and the more can fail. 

Keep in mind when adding Alexa devices. They always need a working internet connection and they usually are connected to your Amazon account, especially if you share your own home.

If the Alexa devices run on your account make sure that there are set some limitiations, so that people would not be able to place orders on Amazon, not be able call or send messages to your contacts.

And what about guests who see the presence of Alexa devices as violating their privacy. the consequence would to be to announce your smart home automation on your listing before booking to get guests allowance. And if the guests don't agree, you'd have to safely disable the devices.

Denis-Mark0
Level 10
Lahnstein, Germany

@Julie660

In any case, you could  create a list of questions your guests might ask Alexa. Of course, it is also important that you provide the assistant with the appropriate answers.

Examples would be useful:

What are the special features of the apartment?
What do we have to look out for in the apartment?
Where is the nearest baker/supermarket?
Where can I sit comfortably in the evening?
How do I get to sight of interest A/B/C?
Where can we find the nearest ATM?
How can we find out about public transport?

Only the right question leads to the right answer.

The same problem with devices. If guests don't know the name of the device or the device has a uncommon name they won't be able to control it.

@Julie660  For me, as a guest, a home automation system would actually be a reason to not book a home. Even if the devices I was aware of were disabled, I would question the host's motivations given all the privacy issues.

I don't think Alexa has anything to offer with respect to any of the lines of questioning suggested by @Denis-Mark0 .   A working internet connection and a 2-minute tour of the home are more than enough for those things. However, I do recognize the special utility that automation has for people with limited mobility. So if your home is particularly well set up for disabilities and your amenities meet most of the Accessibility criteria, I think voice-controlled automation would be a good addition to that setup.

It looks like your house has stairs at the entrance, though, so I'm thinking that's not your market.

Hugh81
Level 3
Gainesboro, TN

Our 1100 sq. ft. cabin is fully home automated.  We have 3 Alexa Echo Dots,  multiple controlled outlets, smart locks, smart light bulbs and an unlimited music plan.  We have created a market differentiation by including technology information in our listing.  We have created special scenarios that create unique guest experiences.  For example,  saying "Alexa Romance" turns most of the lights off in the cabin and on the deck.  The lights in the master bedroom change to a soft color and special classical music begins to play.   The guests love it. (There are multiple scenarios the guests can enjoy.)   We meet the guests at checkin and include the tech tour as part of our welcome.   We have simple (and humorous) instructions printed and available to the guests.   The kitchen and bathroom do not have automation.   I am only describing a small slice of what we have put together.  We have had our listing for one year and have had wonderful guests that have enjoyed our efforts.   

Hello Hugh, 

I would love some help and advice getting this set up if you arfe interested. I love the scenarios you have set. I recently bought the alexa gen 4, one light bulb and a quickset key pad entry lock that is alexa compatiible. We have had a few guests ask about home tech. I think many are used to it in their homes now. We recently went to Panama for a month and it was weird to me not having alexa to set my cooking timers and play my favorite music. My email is :**

Best, Jenn and Dale

**[E-mail address & phone number hidden due to safety reasons - Community Center Guidelines]

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Dale-And-Jenn0  "We recently went to Panama for a month and it was weird to me not having alexa to set my cooking timers and play my favorite music. "

**[Content removed in line with - Community Center Guidelines]

Do you feel better after attacking me? This is a support community not  troll community. I am a well seasoned traveler who speaks 4 languages fluently and owns hones in 3 countries and the USA. My point was that many have grown accustomed to tech assistance and convenience. However, I was not responding to you and did not ask for your advice.