I can’t write a bad review!

I can’t write a bad review!

I’ve been hosting for about 4 1/2 months now. Most guests leave the property in great shape, but last week I had The Worst experience. The guest was great to communicate with, sweet and friendly, but she showed up with someone who clearly was not her stated guest, had visitors, smoked pot, and oh my god, the mess. It could have been so much worse, there was no lasting damage. Thank goodness the sofa is was upholstered in Sunbrella fabric! I’ve just about removed the large stain (blood? chocolate? something else?) from the cushion —it had been turned over, I only discovered it because I had to vacuum up all the food crumbs. Just the highlights: blood smeared on the walls, urine on the bathroom walls and floor, small amounts of  marijuana scattered about, a dirty diaper under the bed! It took forever to clean, but once I had it’s under control, my anger dissipated. She’s already left me a review and I don’t have any reason to believe it will be bad, but I’m having a hard time working up the nerve to write a review of her. In part, I fear retribution. Her profile says she only lives an hour away and her area code is the same as mine. Also, she was so nice! I can’t believe she left my house in such a state! I don’t know what to do. I know I should warn other potential hosts, but I’m pretty sure I’m going to end up not reviewing her at all.  

7 Replies 7
Susan1188
Level 10
Marbella, Spain

Don't write "bad", write HONEST, being as objective, non-emotional and short as you can.
Also be sure to put thumbs down, which the guest does not see, but which goes onto her record and Airbnb can see it if she has a problem with another host.
Does she have other good reviews?

Get feedback from others and try to keep it super short, non agressive and factual.

"X communicated well and we had no problems during her stay.  Apartment required more cleaning than usual after X left. She was accompanied by people who were not declared on her booking".

Do NOT say you would like to have her back.  In the private message you could mention in a neutral way 

"Most guests leave the apartment in a condition closer to the way they found it on arrival".

As for showing up with someone not on the booking, do your house rules forbid this?  Do you require guests to give ID (if not, why not).    If you don't have any specific rules about ID, guest identification, no gatherings, no inviting people from outside, leave out the last part of the above review and change your rules for next time.

great advice. thank you!  i don’t have rules requiring undeclared guests. good point. i’m going to give that some thought. 

Emilia42
Level 10
Orono, ME

@Michelle-and-Jason0 

What?! Yes, you have to write a review. Like @Susan1188 said . . a bad review would be rambling on and on about how you didn't like this women. A factual review with no emotion is not bad.

"XX stayed in great communication throughout her stay. Unforutnely, the house was left in a state that required much cleaning after the alloted cleaning fee."

Give her a one star for cleanliness and click 'would not host again.' (See can't see the stars)

A review like that doesn't scream "drive an hour to my house and bust through my front door' in the least bit.

ha! great! thank you! this is VERY helpful. 

Andrea-and-Francis0
Level 10
Mississauga, Canada

If the guest is this disrespectful of my home like they were yours I most definitely leave them a review. Not only do you want to warn other hosts of their nasty mess, you also don't want them back so you will want to score them one star & do not recommended them!

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Michelle-and-Jason0 sometimes I say something like: "most ABB guests leave the space tidier"

then technically you haven't said SHE was messy, but you have warned other hosts

and then that all sounds like a 1* situation and a "no, I wouldn't host again"

Emily487
Level 10
KCMO, MO

@Michelle-and-Jason0 

I am in the "write the review right away" camp.  I, too, tend to cool off after a day and doubts creep in. Write the review. Now.

Susan was easy to communicate and  very nice. I have to say, it took quite a while to clean up after her stay and based on this, I would not recommend her to future hosts unless checkout expectations are discussed and agreed upon.