I'm staying at an AirBNB - Her Neighbors are loud

Fuzzy1
Level 2
Pasadena, CA

I'm staying at an AirBNB - Her Neighbors are loud

Hi, I've rented an apartment for the month but her neighbors are very loud. What can I do here? Is this a situation where I politely ask if I can cut the stay short? What are my options if she says no? Thanks.  For more context, I arrived last night (Friday night, so I brushed it off, maybe its just a party), but the underground european hip hop has continued into saturday. I believe they're music producers, as I was awoken to sound effects this morning at 06:30. I don't want to be the lame person here though, I believe maybe its just better I find another place?

6 Replies 6
Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

As a host, I would really want my guest to let me know about the issue and give me an opportunity to sort the issue out. I would hate to think there was a major issue with my space that I wasn't aware of.

I would suggest you contact your host (always through AirBnB and let them know the issue. They may be able to sort it out (a call to the neighbour or a complaint to the authorities. If they can't sort it, then it seems reasonable to request to shorten your stay. If they say no, you have the option of contacting AirBnB to ask for their assistance.

Rafael-and-Lena0
Level 4
New Jersey, United States

It is definitely not the host’s fault.  

Just like a bad weather, unfortunately, you have to deal with it. 

@Rafael-and-Lena0   It is definitely the host's fault not to mention the noise issue if this is an ongoing thing, which it sounds like it is. Nothing like bad weather.

I have a large dog with a loud bark who is a stellar watchdog. She doesn't bark ongoingly or neurotically, but she does bark several times a day and sometimes at night if someone goes right by the gate. I mention this in my listing, even though each time the barking is brief, like one minute or less each time, in case a prospective guest would be irritated by it. It's only fair.

@Fuzzy1 before getting to the step of cutting the stay short, have you spoken to the host about the problem?

Give the host at least one chance to fix the problem, but emphasize to the host that if the problem is not fixed that you will be asking AirBnB if you can be relocated.

(In general, AirBnB prefers if you give the host a chance to fix a problem before involving them.)

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Fuzzy1   As others have said, do contact the host first to see if it can be resolved. Personally, I never travel without earplugs 🙂  

Yes, contact the host and ask him to install a sound barrier in the property. Smh