I set house rules as not suitable for children but somebody just booked with a two year old child.

Answered!
John400
Level 1
Shenyang, China

I set house rules as not suitable for children but somebody just booked with a two year old child.

I have just started hosting and am expecting my first guest on Monday but someone else just auto-booked the double room for December with their wife and 2 year old child.  

I'm not really sure whether the apartment is suitable for young children but I would prefer to avoid accepting children, at least for a while until I get used to hosting.  

Is it not against the rules for them to book with a child when I have stated no children in the house rules section?  If I cancel will it negatively effect me in some way?

Many thanks in advance for any help and advice.

1 Best Answer
Kelly65
Level 6
Brisbane, Australia

If you have household rules that state you do not accommodate children, then the booking is invalid. Contact Airbnb and request them to cancel the reservation and it would be done with no penalty to you. Word of caution.... any guest who would agree to rules they've clearly either not read or don't respect, is not a guest you want in your home. If you are not already aware, any setting you have that limits guests to those over 12yrs is ignored by Airbnb, who will show your property to potential guests in search results, when they are searching for properties that accommodate children. Further... Airbnb have now removed this setting with no notification whatsoever to hosts... no consultation or written advice. As far as I am concerned this is unethical, dishonest and disrespectful. The only way you can get around this disregard for your rules and expectations is to turn of instant book and require potential guests to advise the purpose of their stay, number of guests and ages. No doubt Airbnb will find that discriminatory in some manner, but at the end of the day, it is your property, NOT Airbnb's.

View Best Answer in original post

47 Replies 47
Tracy0
Level 10
London, GB

The problem is that people don't read. That's one of the biggest hazards of using Instant Book, and most experienced hosts suggest that new hosts don't use it.

Ask them to cancel, but if they will not, contact AirBNB and have them cancel the reservation for you on the basis that their booking violates your house rules.  Don't cancel it yourself because it complicates things....

Tracy

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Contact AirBNB
Frances34
Level 4
Broadstairs, United Kingdom

yes I just cancelled because I saw it was booked for a 4 year old , I die it by 36 hours and Airbnb are saying those Easter dater will now stay unavailable. my site does state no children under 12 years.

@John400    Not sure if this has happened to you but on many listings  the wording has been changed to "May Not Be Suitable for Children ...",   check yours. I think it might be legal language.

I would send them a message saying your place is not suitable for children because of 1,2,3 etc. Let them cancel.   I think, although you will have to check,  that you are allowed three cancellations with Instant Book with no negative repercussions.

p.s. I would also remove Instant Book until you get the hang of Airbnb, it can trap hosts into untenable positions.

And I would remove that you are not nearby, or say there is a caretaker  (I see an apartment in Barcelona and you thousands of miles away in China) - it seems to attract trouble.

Screen Shot 2016-10-07 at 3.56.33 PM.png

@John400 Great advice from @Ange2, I would add in your listings not only "not suitable", but also "unsafe for children". The unsafe bit may get their attention, as some parents think unsuitable is ok because they're going to keep a close eye on the little ones (of course they don't.) And yes, do get rid of the Instant Book until you feel you've gained enough experience to be confident no one will pull a fast one on you again. Hope that helps! Karen

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Many (most?) guests have this bizarre belief that small children aren't actual people and therefore don't 'count' when it comes to calculating guest numbers.   Of course, this is ridiculous and guests who expect you to accommodate extra people but don't pay for them are stealing from you.  

Experienced hosts know that nothing causes more damage and disruption than a small child and I would charge a premium for them if I could, if only to cover the extra cleaning. If you ever decide to allow children, please take this into account and don't fall for that 'children stay free' nonsense.  If it has a pulse and isn't attached to a placenta, it pays.

You listing accommodates a maximimum of two.  2 + 1 = 3, therefore the guests choices are (a) someone sleeps in the car or (b) they (not you) cancel.  I suggest you communicate these simple choices to them ASAP.  These people have decided that they're special and entitled and that your straightforward rules that only two guests can be accommodated and that children aren't welcome somehow don't apply to them.  Yes, they'll be penalised when they cancel.  This is fair, because it's entirely a problem of their own making.

I’ve never allowed kids and I know what you mean.  My room is for up to 2 people.  Period.  I’ve had some one ask if their kid and kids friend could stay and sleep on the floor.! Luckily because I have a max of 2 people I get a lot of singles wanting the whole room  or doubles.  I’m there so nothing gets past me. 

You’re right!   I’ve had a 12 year old that came with her father for a sports event which was fine.  I will not have kids and so many will say “I can bring an aerobed”  or that kid can sleep on floor...and has even asked if kid can bring a friend!    Hello!!!!! You’re kids not allowed...why would I let him bring a friend???  All for free. 😂. Maximum 2 in the room solves it. Maximum 2 night stay I have. Luckily I get great guests and because of my location people come for a specific reason: wedding, party, catching a boat or picking some one up; major yearly road race, or just to go to the beach. I won’t do instant book anc have done this long enough to know who to accept or decline.  

Loise. You are my soul sister. Lol

I love your no nonsense approach. 

John400
Level 1
Shenyang, China

Many thanks to everyone for the advice.  So I contacted the guest, explained the situation and asked him to cancel.  A couple of hours later I got an automated email from AirBnB saying that the guest requested that I cancel the reservation.  I thought that this was some sort of mutual thing whereby we both had to cancel so I clicked the cancel button.  It then became clear that I would be subject to cancelation penalties.  I then contacted AirBnB, (it took a while for me to figure out how to do that) through the feedback section of the mobile phone app and explained the situation.  They replied a couple of days later with a nice email saying all penalties had been removed.  For the moment I have removed the instant book function, until I get more used to hosting.  My first guests are here now and everything is going superbly.  Thanks again for the help.

Bonnie42
Level 2
Jacksonville, FL

I had kids stay and I said not suitable. It is dangerous as we are waterfront and have a 300 foot dock. 

Did not tell me but left a bottle in the fridge and had the TV on Disney Channel.

extra cleaning off the windows etc. etc.

Bonnie42
Level 2
Jacksonville, FL

I had kids stay and I said not suitable. It is dangerous as we are waterfront and have a 300 foot dock. 

Did not tell me but left a bottle in the fridge and had the TV on Disney Channel.

extra cleaning off the windows etc. etc.

Bonnie42
Level 2
Jacksonville, FL

It stinks- people show up with children even though it is not safe and not acceptable.we are on the water and there is a large drop off so it is not safe. 

If anyone showed up with kids I’d refuse them at the door.