I understand that properties in Barcelona require a license from the city. What does exempt mean?

I understand that properties in Barcelona require a license from the city. What does exempt mean?

Under some properties(typically those outside my budget), it gives a specific license number. But for other cheaper properties, it says "exempt". Are these safe to stay at? What happens if the city cracks down on those places (assuming exempt really just means an excuse for not having a license.)

2 Replies 2

Hello Jason. To rent your apartment by day , you must have a touristic licence . To rent your apartment more than 31 days till 11 month you can do it without a licence. Means exempt. Thats why these properties are a little bit cheaper than the properties with a licence . Summing the prices by day in a property with a licence, even with a month discount , the one without licence will be alway much cheaper. Of course is safe to stay. You can also read the comments and reviews before deciding . Regards

Sander25
Level 2
Barcelona, Spain

Hi Jason,

Exempt could also mean it’s not the entire apartment. If you rent a private room in an apartment it’s home sharing. Home sharing doesn’t fall under tourism law and is therefore exempt. No license necessary.