Infant not included in the filter

Ondřej15
Level 1
Zlin, Czech Republic

Infant not included in the filter

When I look for a place and I set number of adults and an infant, it happens quite a lot that in the search there are included places that don't allow infants and I find out only when I move to the 2nd step of the checkout. It would be really less annoying to see only places that support this option.

10 Replies 10
Divya20
Level 3
Gurugram, India

Hi! I see how upsetting that can be. I may have an option for you: When you reach the guests section, you can enter the number of Adults and the Infants travelling with you. 2019-11-25 (2).png

That didn’t answer her concern, nor mine. Places show in the results when these filters are selected. I just had it happen to me and was declined by the host. If the filters for children/infants are selected by guests, we shouldn’t see results for properties that don’t accommodate. 

@James3078  While I agree that guests should not be shown listings that don't conform to the filters they have entered, guests also need to read through all listing information before submitting a booking request.

That you were declined means not only were you shown a listing which in fact did not accept children, you obviously didn't bother to read any of the host's house rules, or you would have seen that it said unsuitable for children, as well as seeing his other house rules.

It is a guest's responsibility to read all the info provided, including house rules, the cancellation  policy for the listing, and any requiremments the host has for approving a booking.

Many of the issues that arise between hosts and guests are due to guests just looking at the photos and price and glossing over the listing wording, if they even bother to read it at all.

@Sarah977 your reply is not on topic to this discussion and I don’t appreciate you tagging me and making assumptions and accusations about my booking experience. The discussion is centered around having ACCURATE customer search features to provide customers with rentals that suit their needs. Stay in your lane.

@James3078  Yes it was on topic and anyone can post their opinion and suggestions here. I didn't make any assumptions. You said your request was declined because the host does not accept infants, which means you never read that part, or if you did, you ignored it.

@Sarah977 you’re so stuck on being righteous to someone you don’t even know than focusing on the original point.. Nobody should have to double check the hosts rules for something that’s already been specified by anyone who is booking. If I’ve selected the search criteria “accommodates infants/children” THAN DON’T HAVE YOUR LISTING APPEAR IN THE SEARCH RESULTS if you’re not going to. It’s essentially false advertising and a very simple concept to understand. 

@James3078 "THAN DON’T HAVE YOUR LISTING APPEAR IN THE SEARCH RESULTS if you’re not going to."

You seem to think that hosts are responsible for this? Wow, that couldn't be farther from the truth. 

This is Airbnb's doing. Hosts most certainly do not want their listing to be presented to guests whose input filters are the opposite of the host's rules.  Hosts get penalized for declining or cancelling bookings- they don't want to be getting requests that din't fit the parameters of their listing.

@Sarah977  I should have been more clear, by “your” I’m referring to AirBnB not the hosts. I understand the hosts have no control over where their listing appears. 

The original poster and myself are simply suggesting AirBnB adjust the search feature to filter out and not show places that won’t accommodate infants/children if I select that I’m traveling with them from the drop down of number of guests.

@Mark116 
I’m not even suggesting infants stay free. See my comment above to Sarah. I’m suggesting AirBnB adjust the usability of their site/app to better filter search results to applicable criteria. If I select “hot tub ” why would a place without one show up on the search results list? It shouldn’t. Just like when I select I’m traveling with an infant, why would a place that doesn’t allow infants show up on the search results list? It shouldn’t.

@James3078  Thanks for the clarification. No argument here that guests should not be shown listings which don't conform to their chosen filters. 

You need to send this as feedback to Airbnb, though, through their Help section on the main site. This is just a discussion forum for hosts and guests- Airbnb does not read this forum, although sometimes the forum moderators will ping things over to customer service, but the mods here are just mods, they have no ability to actually change anything or address and resolve an issue.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

@James3078  The issue is that Airbnb says 'infants stay free' as a marketing ploy, but they so far, haven't and probably cannot prevent hosts from counting an infant as part of the guest total.  That is where the disconnect is coming from.  @Sarah977  is correct that guests should still be reading the house rules BEFORE they make a booking request.