Inquiries blocking real bookings

Inquiries blocking real bookings

• 1 guest
     · 
  • 3 nights
     · 
  • $289.21 AUD
TB · CBD Hidden treasure Apt for 2 couples or Family

This reservation is almost confirmed. We’ve asked this guest to complete their payment within the next 7 hours, and these dates will be held until then.

this is the screen 17 hours after this "potential guest" requested to book for the 5th - now by Airbnb's system the dates are blocked - I BET $289 he will not book in, he has no money - the system should not allow last minute requests to block the dates 
Airbnb forget - we HOSTS are the real client - this "Potential" guest is NOT a customer 
This has happened several times - the answers from Staff is really hopeless 
"Dont allow last minute bookings" - well that is ridiculous as then it will still be empty
"try this or that" clearly showing the call centre staff do not uinderstand or are not properly trained 
Why can I not get hold of someone in authority? this system error has now - so far in 2019 cost me over $900 - time to act and protect your customers 
12 Replies 12
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nicholas262  I'm not sure I understand. An Inquiry doesn't block dates. If you really want the Inquirer to book and trust that they will, you can block those dates manually for them and unblock them when they let you know they are ready to book. A Booking Request will block the calendar, but it can't do that if you've already blocked the dates,as the dates wouldn't even show as available for the Request. A Booking Request has 24 hours to pay after you've approved it. Then the dates open up again if payment doesn't go through.

Most hosts never block dates for an Inquiry, as many of those are just lookie-loos and will never book, let alone get back to you. I did it once, as I had exchanged several messages with the guest, I really liked her,  and she was just having trouble booking a flight, but as soon as she had, she booked my place.

A booking request - when accepted blocks the dates - I have never in 2400 booking blocked for an inquiry 

thanks for your interest

Of course you are correct "an inquiry does not block" I accepted the inquiry and now it is blocked - they will pay nothing they have no money or their card is expired or whatever but net result is another failure by Airbnb to protect owners. -  now - 2 hours until the "Block expires" 24 hours wasted - I am totally disheartened by Airbnb's lack of response - here is Copy / paste of current

This reservation is almost confirmed. We’ve asked this guest to complete their payment within the next 2 hours, and these dates will be held until then.

0 reviews

Verified

Joined in March 2019
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Personally I would never block out dates or hold bookings for guests.

If they want to book, then they book.

You don't need to accept an inquiry and block out the dates for 24 hours. 

I don't accept last minute booking as i don't want to risk payments not going through.

Hi Helen 

I have 55 places across several sites 

so just maybe I will correct you.

They (seem ) to want to book - they send a booking request - I accept - it blocks the dates - they system allows them 24 hours to sort out their affairs - meanwhile no one else can book - I can not free the date and it remains blocked until the 24 lapses 

I also do not "accept and block" the site does that whenm you accept what seems a legit booking request (not an inquiry)  of course I dont let anyone in if unpaid.

You added 

"I don't accept last minute booking as i don't want to risk payments not going through"

if you dont accept last minute then you don't get any bookings !! Surely? 

do you mean accept - let them in and not get paid ? or just not take any last minute bookings?

I yeild about 12.5% net (compared to Real Estate rentals here of 3.5 - 5% yeild but I push hard and have 80something % occupancy

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

From memory, you are asked whether you'd like to block the dates or not when an enquiry comes in. I never do. So it's a choice thing, surely, @Nicholas262?

I know what you mean but no - no choice !! The PG (potential Guest- and I use this with intent as these people are not clients ) enquiries the day prior - I tick accept to their booking request - they either have no money or their Card is expired or whatever Tech reason 

Meanwhile they have 24 hours to sort it out wnd in the interim it is blocked - 24 later still no booking confirmnation and the site unblocks but it is now late on the actual vacant date or in fact early the next day and a nights income (or two on a Friday / saturday combination - gone 

Just Hopeless really

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Nicholas262 @Gordon0 @Helen3 @Sarah977 

I bet this is an accepted reservation request where the payment has not gone through. In such cases airbnb gives the guest 24 hours to complete their payment and block the host calendar for the same number of hours. 

It is not something new, happend to me years ago with a Russian CC.  The payment did come through in the end, so in my case it ended in a €1000 booking and I had new neighbours for a month.  

Nice pick up E1000 - I just got a booking from the local Yacht Club - direct 294 Nights across 12 places - a very good booking - fees lets say about 54 times what the Russian paid !! I am very excited by this booking

What @Marit-Anne0 said.    This happens occassionally and the payment clears or doesn't.   It's only really annoying to me,  when it blocks something in the next few days,   and a booking is likely from someone else.

Denise815
Level 2
Eugene, OR

The "inquiry" function does, indeed, block nights, even when I decline the inquiry because they are low-balling my already-low prices! I have to go to the calendare and manually unblock those dates, even to send them a "special offer" (I reply with a full-price offer they can accept instantly, which they often do--they're just trying to chisel the price down by $1-5. Totally wasting my time making me go through all this over such a measly amount! For them, the cost of a cup of coffee. For me, over time, a 10% pay cut! Sheesh...)

@Denise815  I've never had an Inquiry block the dates unless I pre-approve it. If I just answer, without Pre-approving or Declining, the dates stay open.