Is Airbnb Partial to Guests?

Valentina576
Level 2
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Is Airbnb Partial to Guests?

I have recently had to give a full refund to a guest for fear of my safety regardless of the fact that I have a strict cancellation policy.   From the conversations with this person, I already knew something was off. He asked if he could view the apartment before booking. I mean come on! Grated he was new to airbnb, but still, if you were booking a hotel would ask for a viewing of the room before you booked? Okay so this is what happened. He had made enquiries about parking space and if he could view the place before booking. I refused and explained that airbnb kept the loctaion private for security purposes. I offered to show him the parking space instead because as usual, I wanted to go above and beyond. It was also a general parking space so I could still keep my flat number private. After arranging to meet up to show him the parking, he ended up not coming and proceeded to book.  He arrived and asked if the parking space was safe and I said yes because its a safe neighbourhood. He came into the house and started asking strange questions within 10 seconds of arriving like do I live alone and it was uncofortable, I had to excuse myself.  He opened all the doors and windows and was acting suspicious. Before his arrival, I made sure the house was sparkling clean and everything thing was in order as I could tell he was a picky sort. The next thing I know, he said he couldn’t stay and claimed the house stank which was false because my place is that clean, my guests always notice and comment on it. I feel like he booked it so he could view the place even  though that sort of thing isn't allowed on airbnb. He then asked for his refund in a way that was scary, I'm a young woman living alone, I was so scared and just imagined a million ways he could hurt me. I calmly explained he'd have to go through airbnb. He left but kept on bugging me for a refund. I had to give it to him because he already knew my address and could come to my house if he didn't get his way. I explained to airbnb and the reply I got was that this man was new to airbnb hence his behaviour. I am so upset because I was bullied into giving a refund even though I had a strict cancellation policy.  So airbnb is saying it's okay to trick people

7 Replies 7
Thomas--and-Martha0
Level 2
Egg Harbor Township, NJ

I hate to tell you this I had a similar issue with guest and I let him stay because I didn't want it to go against guy trashed house figured air bnb would back me up and they made me dispute with guest at first he broke my bed broke glasses sent pictures to air bnb and they wert more concerned with a receipt than automatically taking my side they won't give u your money back since this happened to me I changed my house rules I charge all different fees and get deposit now because at the end of the day it's ur property on the line and you have to set the standard and make it in your favor a guy like that call the cops or tell him ur boyfriend is a cop this way he will think twice about messing with you make a list up of all your items and put a price next to it in case guest breaks something or stains something this way you have the right to take it without getting air bnb involved.all they are is a middle man for us just an app and you need to set rules to cover yourself 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Valentina576 

I am sorry you had a such a horrible situation and that you felt pressurised into refunding this guest.

I think as we get more experienced at hosting, we learn to vet our guests better and if there are red flags - such as a guest wanting to see our property in advance, or behaving strangely, we listen to our instinct and decline their booking, whether it is on Airbnb or another platform.

You haven't said why he asked for a refund, but assuming there was nothing wrong with the listing, then I wouldn't have felt the need to refund him and I am in a similar hosting situation to you.

I would have just explained to the guest that any refund was in line with the cancellation policy he booked under and that he needed to deal with Airbnb regarding this. If he continued to harrass me I would have blocked him on the platform.

Unfortunately, Airbnb does encourage hosts to voluntarily refund guests in these situations, but this doesn't mean you have to. I honestly don't see how you were 'tricked' in this situation.

Perhaps if you use Instant Book, it would be better for you to remove it and then you can vet your guests before accepting their booking.

Valentina576
Level 2
Liverpool, United Kingdom

Hi Helen,

Thank you will  definitely consider taking off instant book. Airbnb always gave the impression you could earn more that way that's why I have it on. I felt tricked because this guy never intended to stay but he booked just to view the place in person and then cancell under the guise of my place stank. Remember he had  already enquired  about viewing the place before booking. Which came of weird to me. I am seriously worried that he had my address. Even though he's new to airbnb as he claims, airbnb lets you know that you can see the location when you book so why did he still go ahead to ask if he could do a viewing. Lol I think cause I live alone, I'm extra cautious.

Eileen0
Level 9
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Valentina 

Sorry to hear that you've had this experience.  Take a deep breath, consider it a 'lesson learned' and make a plan for yourself so hopefully it won't happen again.

Trust your gut feeling and never ever give out any details until the place is booked. The person might have been scoping the place out.  There was a spate here in London quite a few years ago where a young blonde French girl was asking to see people's flats before booking (alledgedly for her mother).  She did visit my place and was all keen until I mentioned that sometimes my boyfriend works here during the day.  After I said that, she couldn't get out of the place quick enough.

Sorry that you felt pressurised into refunding the money, but at least it was all dealt with reasonably quickly. The sooner someone like that is out of your sight and life, the better.  

Take off instant book for a while, or set it to only accept bookings from people with good reviews.  

Also, friends who are single women living on their own and do Airbnb in their own homes, say that they often mention a boyfriend/ex-husband who is around or lives nearby.   

Don't let this one bad apple put you off. 

@Branka0and Silvia @@Helen in Bristol, UK or whoever could answer me

I waited a week with the following questions at the right place - a discussion on Chinese guests - but as I received no answer because it was an old topics - I am trying to get the answers here: 

I am expecting my first Chinese guests. I have the following questions -

How do they prefer the beds to be made - to sleep under one cover the two partners or one separate upper cover for everybody?

Do they prefer body wash or soap when taking bath? Is there anything special they would expect in the bathroom? Is one bath-towel enough for each person for 3 days stay?

Are there prefered colors, esp for the bed linen?

What kind of rice do they mostly prefer - brown or white?

Are they curious to try traditional meat of other countries?

Have I to have their special porcelain spouns or wooden sticks - or yolk - or they can cook in just the ordinary pan?

What do they mostly like  - nature, museums, restaurants, just walking and seeing the city? 

When in Rome!

Why didn't you call the police ?