Is Guest Account Fake?

Edith-E-0
Level 1
Charlotte, NC

Is Guest Account Fake?

I'm new to hosting and have been messaging a user back and forth about trip with multiple people. They want to book, but said there is some problem with the credit card address. This raised a red flag for me. Then they offered to send me a check and asked to text me. Huge red flag for me. I have a business, and I've seen scammers try the "I can send you a check" trick. This person has asked more questions about the place than anyone, ever, even when I've had my place on Craigslist and in local publications. I told her to contact Airbnb directly about billing.

See conversation below (read from the bottom up), does this look like a fake scam user? I pre-approved the reservation. If I cancel it, will that affect my rating? I'm not sure I want to invest more time into something that might not be legit....The user joined in Feb 2016, and has no verifications.

I cannot find an e-mail for them directly… it asks for specific questions… I will keep looking. I also cannot reserve my dates.. is that because I have not paid? - Dominique
Today at 9:55 PMThu Mar 03 2016 21:55:18 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
The best way to get the booking issue resolved is to contact Airbnb directly. Unfortunately there is nothing I can do when it comes to processing payments.....
Today at 9:53 PMThu Mar 03 2016 21:53:34 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Is there anyway I can send you a check? or do the transaction two times? Dominique
Today at 9:52 PMThu Mar 03 2016 21:52:30 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Do you have a number I can text you at? I think that will be easier. Dominique
Today at 9:34 PMThu Mar 03 2016 21:34:47 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Okay.. Let me do that then... Dominique
Today at 2:36 PMThu Mar 03 2016 14:36:33 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)
You might have to contact Airbnb billing in the help section, because I'm not sure. I'm guessing that the currency will be charged according to the address of the card. That will explain why you are being charged in Canadian Dollars (CAD), vs US Dollars (USD).
Today at 9:48 AMThu Mar 03 2016 09:48:20 GMT-0500 (Eastern Standard Time)

Hey Edith, My Credit Card is a US Master Card.. but I have a Canadian address (My mother lives in Canada). The card takes from our American account, not our Canadian. How can I make it so it charges American….?? ( it says in the fine print, it will charge the card in Canadian). Sorry for this confusion.. I just want to be charged American. Dominique
2 Replies 2
Dave-and-Deb0
Level 10
Edmonton, Canada

Hi @Edith-E-0,

I think you handled this situation perfectly.  No, if you remove the pre-approval, it will not hurt your rating or your response rate.  

Dave

David

Superhost Ambassador ~ Host Club Community Leader ~ Community Expert ~ Experienced Co-Host

Wendy-and-Markus0
Level 10
United States

@Edith-E-0

I agree with @Dave-and-Deb0, you handled this situation great! I recommend you follow up with airbnb to inform them this guest has made multiple requests to contact you off airbnb and pay you directly- so they get flagged.