Is it necessary to fill in taxes form "IRS Substitute Form W-8BEN" in my specific case?

Is it necessary to fill in taxes form "IRS Substitute Form W-8BEN" in my specific case?

Hello all, 

I'm from the Czech Republic (part of European Union), I pay all taxes from all my Airbnb incomes in the Czech Republic.

In that case is it neccessary to fill in the Airbnb form which is called "IRS Substitute Form W-8BEN" which is for people who are not a U.S. person and do not have a U.S. taxpayer identification number? 

Is that really needed?

THX for the answers.

1 Reply 1
Olivier590
Level 2
Riga, Latvia

Hello,
Have you filled the form ? Facing the same situation here, I am notified to fill the form but I have nothing to do with US, non resident and non US listing (located in Latvia EU). 

From all the readings I made including the IRS.gov, a non US resident without income within the US do not need to fill that form. So we should not be presented such a notification to do so. Certainly a bug in the system as half admitted the support : 

"We are required by the IRS to build in detection methods on our platform, most of the time it works as it should. Sometimes hosts may do some activity which falsely triggers our system to prompt US Taxpayer information. In cases like yours, having Tax Payer information on your account overrides these false signals to trigger US tax withholding".
What I am afraid is if the notification is faulty prompted at us there can be a risk of mistakenly tax withhold of 30% which is a hell to get back.