Is it normal for a host to send a hateful message to you after posting an honest 4-star review?

Stephen218
Level 1
Wilmington, NC

Is it normal for a host to send a hateful message to you after posting an honest 4-star review?

Upon reviewing a property I stayed at, I received a slightly discriminatory, slightly hateful message repsonse from the host in regards to my 4 star rating that I had given. Stating "this is why we don't rent to Americans", how "we" don't understand simple things. 

I was shocked and taken aback from this response as everything else was plesant and perfect. Being a reviewer I did not understand the power of a 4 out of 5 star being such a bad connotation but was simply being honest. 

Is this normal?

3 Replies 3
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Stephen218 it is not your fault, it is Airbnb's.

What Airbnb tells to guests: * terrible, *bad, ***good, ****very good, ***** excelent

What Airbnb tells to hosts: terrible, **terrible, ***terrible, ****terrible, *****excelent

To much 4* reviews and listing can be suspended 😞 

An excellent explanation of how a very bad review system works

Isabel203
Level 10
Halifax, Canada

@Stephen218, rudeness is never OK and I am sorry you were treated that way. As you will see from other comments, the review process can be a source of much anxiety and frustration for hosts, but guests typically don't (and shouldn't be expected to) know that. You gave an honest response and did nothing wrong. I hope this expereince doesn't put you off AirBnB altogether.