Is my host trying to scam me?

Magnus8
Level 2
Halmstad, Sweden

Is my host trying to scam me?

I've been renting a place for a couple of months, and now I needed to extend my stay about 3 weeks. I entered the dates on the alteration page and got an increase of the price by X. But then I had to hurry out and didn't complete the alteration. A few hours later I messaged my host in another matter, and also mentioned that I would need to extend. A few hours later I'm back home and going to do the alteration - now the price increase is higher, just a few hours later!

I'm suspecting my host quickly jacked up the price when I told him I'd send an alteration request. But perhaps there is some automatic price adjustment going on by AirBnb or something? BTW, it's in Bangkok and right now is low season here. 

Could it be an automatic adjustment, or is it likely my host who is trying to jack up the price? Will the price revert to default after some set amount of time, or should I confront the host and ask why the price changed (I have a screenshot of the old price)?

12 Replies 12
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Magnus8

Of course you can ask him to illuminate. Communication is always the best tool.

Many hosts have an automatic reduction that kicks in for every 4 weeks.

Or have you thought of a seasonal change? My prices are higher now than in early spring when bookings are not quite as frequent.

Joanna85
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

It is the host's right to fiddle with the price how they see fit.  Maybe it was already set to a higher price.  You can ask your host about it.  I wouldn't assume the host is 'scamming' you.  It could be any variety of factors.  If he won't change the price, you have options, right?  Pay it or find a new spot.  It's not a super big deal--but I'd ask your host about the increase in pricing just to see if you can stay and keep the rate you had originally.  Airbnb has no control over pricing, that is the host's doing.  Hosts set up their pricing according to the market and various other factors.

Is there any way to check the price history for the place? I mean, can I view a history of any price adjustments that the host has made?

Magnus8
Level 2
Halmstad, Sweden

To clarify - it's not that the price is higher now than when I made the reservation. It's that the additional price for the extended three weeks changed from when I first looked at it about 2pm until 9pm (after I had informed my host that I was going to extend). If the AirBnb system does not alter prices, then obviously my host must have done so when I informed him that I will extend, right? 

Not necessarily.  Prices can auto-adjust. 

I would just message him requesting the rate similar to what you paid previously or a discounted price for the trip extension.  No need to turn it into a confrontation. 

In what circumstances do prices auto adjust for the exact same time period (june 15 to july 5) from 2pm to 9pm the same day? 

If this is correct, you're saying that the price can auto adjust down as well, so then I should check back every now and then before making my extension, in case the price drops?

@Magnus8 I can't say 100% for sure that the host didn't readjust the price in hopes of more income.  In any event, this isn't scamming.  Almost all travel industries adjust prices, sometimes more than once a day to meet certain levels of profit.  Since you're dealing with a human being and not some faceless corporation, I still suggest that you send a brief message requesting your original rate or negotiating a discount of some kind.  I've had guests do this when my calendar auto-adjusted, and I was happy to oblige them. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Magnus8  Without seeing the host profile, I don't know if there is a monthly discount or not.  If you received the discount for your first 2 months, and then extended for 3 weeks, the monthly discount would not apply.  Would this make sense in your case?

Nope, since I checked the price of the extension from june 15 to july 5 at 2pm. Then checked it again at 9pm, obviously for the same period, june 15 to july 5. The only thing that has changed is the price.

Magnus8
Level 2
Halmstad, Sweden

So, I contacted the host and asked why the price had increased in a matter of hours (bear in mind that I've been staying in this place the past few months and the calendar is empty for the rest of the year, so it's not like it's a super active place where the host sits around and adjusts the price every day). 

His answer, which oddly enough I haven't seen anyone here mention, is that he's using a feature called "Smart Pricing". This seems to be a function that adjusts the price according to how popular the place is. So I guess it's entirely possible that the algorithm sensed that more people than ususal had been viewing the place that day, and adjusted the price upwards. Or even that I triggered the algorithm myself when I visited the listing. 

In the end, the host agreed to lower the price slightly to almost the same level as the first time I went to do the extension.

@Magnus8  Glad you were able to contact the host directly and reorient your thinking from being "scammed".  I really hate to think good guests feel that.  Glad you got support to consider alternatives.  Thanks for posting.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Magnus8

Smart pricing... works like a charm for some, and is terribly  and unrealistically 'off 'for others, depending on where they are located.

I don't use it, but have to laugh out loud at some of the price suggestions Airbnb tries to 'tempt' me with!

This is most probably what @Ellen104 was referring to when she said "Prices can auto-adjust".

Smart Pricing is an expression that usually only hosts are familiar with...