Is this going effect my superhost qualification?

Donna473
Level 3
Ormond Beach, FL

Is this going effect my superhost qualification?

I just had my ad taken offline and I had relist it. When I went to see why, I found a drop to 85% acceptance in my progress. Not sure if theres a connection but now Im concerned. I never decline someone if Im able to accomodate them. Because I only rent a room and bathroom in my home, I require 2 days for instant book but do accept same day requests. Ive recently had 2 requests that didnt meet my guidelines. One wanted me to drop the price drastically and the other was spring breakers who didnt confirm they were of age or how many in the group. They also wanted to arrive late in the night. I wasnt able to accommodate them so my rating dropped. 

I thought declining is better than ignoring but I dont know what steps to take to not get penalized (other than say yes to every unreasonable request). 

This brings me to another question: I live in an area that get inundated with spring breakers. Am I "required" to host them?

Im not comfortable sharing my home with under age people without an adult over 25. Thanks in advance for all your help and guidance!

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Donna473 

Acceptance rate is not really a issue for Superhost qualification. (i am most of the time below 85%).   Please note: if a guest request leads to something  not possible, instead of declining you can ask the guest in your answer also to withdraw the request (within the timel limit), so no decline or accept needed.  If it is an inquiry, no obligation to decline or pre-aprove, just answer the message within the time limit and that's it (you can remove such an inquiry from the dashboard).

Best regards,

Emiel

Donna473
Level 3
Ormond Beach, FL

Thank you! That makes me feel much better. I didn't think to ask them to cancel the request. I will do that in the future. So many little techniques that I need to learn. 

Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

@Donna473 in my experience it is virtually never necessary to actually decline. (In four years of hosting I don't think I ever have.) You can explain to the guest that  Airbnb penalizes hosts who decline so you will approve, but only with the stipulation that "no discount" / "no late arrival" / "all guests names and ages provided" etc. etc. Explain that if the stipulation is not met they will not be able to check in, so if this doesn't meet their needs they should let the pre-approval expire or withdraw their booking request.

Donna473
Level 3
Ormond Beach, FL

@Lisa723 that makes sense too. I will start doing that. Thank you! One big issue we have here is that we are a major spring break destination. (Daytona Beach). So we deal with alot of 17-21 age range who really do not respect others, homes or the rules. It's a tough season here. Lol. So far Ive had only amazing hosting experiences and am loving it! 

@Donna473 yes I imagine that is tough. I wonder if you can take measures to make your listing less attractive to that set? For example, you could have a quiet hours rule and make it very clear in your pre-booking and post-booking messages that anyone who violates it will be evicted on the spot. You might also try raising your price substantially for this time period, and/or adding a hefty cleaning fee, perhaps with a note that partial refunds will be made if the space is left in good shape. Basically, rules and fees that real adults won't mind dealing with but college-age partiers will. One of the reasons all my listings always have at least a two-night minimum is to deter people renting for parties, but this may not apply so much to your situation.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Donna473 @Lisa723 @Emiel1 @Lisa

Hi Donna,  sometimes it's worthwhile to tweak your ad that way it helps eliminate / or encourage the clientelle you desire to host.

All the best