Issue with not receiving 1099s separately!

Al136
Level 2
San Diego, CA

Issue with not receiving 1099s separately!

Hi everyone,

Hope this message finds you healthy and safe during this pandemic time! I have been hosting in Airbnb for the past 2.5 years. I have an issue that hoping to get some help from other hosts.   

1- I am hosting 2-3 properties for other people ( like a property management Company). 
2- Each property has different owner. 
2- Each property has their own bank account & W-9 forms.
3- The money driven from each property goes directly to the bank account of that owner. I bill them at the end of the month for my services.
4- Each property is making over $20,000 or minimum number of bookings.

I was under impression that since each property has their own bank account, their own income and their own W-9 form, at the end of the year, each property gets their own 1099 based on the info provided on the W-9 form. (otherwise what is the purpose of each property or bank account has their own W-9?) The problems is that only 1099 that we received last year was the total income of all properties combined that went to the default account. Default account happens to  belong to one of the owners. 

I tried to get help from Airbnb but it is not going anywhere! I only have one more month to fix this so any help from hosts that handles multiple properties is greatly appreciate it! Maybe I have not set it up right from start, not sure! 

Thank you for your time to read my post! Have a productive day! 

Al from San Diego

2 Replies 2
Vivian860
Level 5
Richmond, ME

It seems like you are not hosting these properties but rather MANAGING the properties, is that correct?

If this is the deal, I would gather all invoices from the hosts that own the property to file. The invoices are actually your paycheck since you do not own any units but manage them; that would mean you are on their payroll. 

How did you file in the previous years?? I hope you have a good tax accountant to help you out, if not book one! In matters like this I would not file taxes through websites like TaxTurbo, H&R Block, etc. an actual tax accountant would be able to tell you in depth what you can and can't file for and tax cuts.

Hope this helps, Good Luck! 

I've been having similar issues with no luck getting answers FOR YEARS.  If you find the answer, please share. I'll keep trying also.