It Finally Happened

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

It Finally Happened

Well it has finally happened. After 3 years we have had a guest do damage to our holiday home. She (or one of her famiy) apparently sliced and diced directly on the bench top and has left cuts right through the formica down into the 'wood' below. This is despite there being plenty of chopping boards. 

So catch 22. If I request money via Airbnb she will write me a bad review, which I know I can respond to, but I would rather ot have to deal with. Or I only have 48 hours to request the money don't I? 

I am only venting, do I have to write in the house rules to use a chopping board when using a knife? Surely people are adults and know this sort of stuff? 

5 Replies 5
Mike1034
Level 10
Mountain View, CA

@Denise80 Per Airbnb: If you need to make a claim on your security deposit, you can do so in the Resolution Center within 14 days of your guest's checkout date or before the next guest checks in, whichever is earlier.

Therefore, if no guest check in soon. You still have time to wait. 

If I were you, I would file the claim just before the next guest check in. You can never avoid a retaliatory review if you still put your property on Airbnb and Airbnb does not change their review system to disallow retaliatory reviews.

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Denise80 

I'm interested to know how much it will cost to replace the countertop in your estimation?

Denise80
Level 9
Hamilton, New Zealand

Thank you @Mike1034 , I am so tired I thought I read it had to be done 48hours after the guest eaft. New guest is in on Friday so I have a wee bit of time 🙂

As for the cost of the bench @Cormac0 , I have no idea. I had to get some burn marks fixed (another guest from a different hosting platform) and that cost $500 so I think maybe around the same amount? Our town is a small one and there is nobody I could call for a quote unti Monday at the earliest. 

@Denise80Here is the link in Airbnb about filing claim 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/352/what-happens-if-a-host-makes-a-claim-on-my-security-deposit%...

You may get a quote online for the fix. Please take photo of the damage. Airbnb will not pay you without the photo and the invoice or quote for the repair.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Denise80 Some hosts review immediately so that perhaps the guest will do the same & then start to process the claim without retaliation review holding over their head

take this time over the weekend to read exactly how the claims process works so that you’re prepared Monday. Good luck