Laundry/ cleaning for month long guest

Laundry/ cleaning for month long guest

Hello all,

I have a guest that will be staying at my house for a month, im a little confused on how to go about laundry and cleaning. I expect guests to clean up after themselves but what about laundry and cleaning their room? Do i just leave the washer and dryer for them to use or do i tell them every week im going to wash their sheets/towels?

3 Replies 3
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Yasmin29. You are not obliged to clean after the guest or do their laundry. Many hosts renting long term use the opportunity of weekly cleaning as a chance to check the room etc. But the guest can be shown a cloth and detergents. 😉

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"

Hi, I have had long term guests here a few times. My guests use the first floor in my home and my husband and I are on the second floor. Our washer and dryer are on the second floor and I often think about putting a washer and dryer downstairs; however, that would be a major construction cost... (if doable). So, I essentially open my laundry room upstairs to all long term guests. Most take advantage of it while being careful not to be intrusive. The cleaning ... I let it up to them. They're adults. 

@Yasmin29

My listing is a private room in my home and I have hosted a lot of exchange student guests staying anywhere from a month to 4 months. I decided to handle bed sheet changes and laundry of sheets and towels myself because I wanted to minimize the possibilty of the sheets and towels being ruined from improper washings. Also, when Henry vaccums the common areas, he enters the guest room to do a quick vaccum of the floors and under the bed. He checks the state of the sheets to determine when to change them and checks the window sill and supply of kleenex etc. We also check the state of the guest bathroom every couple days.

Basic tidying and cleaning up after themself is expected, but if anything needs a good scrub, then as hosts and home owners we prefer to handle it ourselves because it's OUR home and the guest may not do things to our liking 🙂

The cost of providing clean sheets, towels, amenities thru out the reservation, and a little bit of cleaning now and then for "maintenance" purposes is all factored into the per night price, which was also considered when we decided on our monthly/weekly discount rate.

But in the end, it is different for each host. You just need to make sure you have clearly defined boundaries, and that you communicate with the guest.... NEVER assume anything. Good luck~!