Leading onto further discount

Arisa0
Level 2
Hirakata, Japan

Leading onto further discount

Hello everyone,

After couple of bad reviews on cleanliness, I did clean and tidy up by myself instead of cleaners.

Then, a new guest just got in and straightforwardly sent me dozens of pictures claiming how dirty this place was at 3:30am today.  This guest is one of Asians.

Politely but clearly his comment tried to make me feel guilty and lead on to withdraw some more discount.

Pictures showed one hair of mine dropped on the floor, one towel was put on the hunger rail, on the surface of a soap one dark mark was left, and so on. I really want to upload those pictures.  If tangled black long hair blocked some water flow in a washing basin, it is understandable why a guest complained. But why this guest needs to send me one black hair dropped on the floor, one white towel put on the laundry pipe and so forth at 3:30am in local time?  One white towel put on the laundry pipe does not affect his stay, some variations of towels are put for the guest use.

Then, I thought this person did TAKE PHOTOS NOT for reminding me of keeping high cleanliness standards BUT for leading me on to withdraw MORE DISCOUNT opportunities.

A prime reason is simple - my place is clean and tidy.  Also I did by myself for not being complained by others.

Recently I encountered two similar experiences.

Another two guests also from the same country sent me pictures which showing some long hairs dropped on the carpet and in a washing basin, claiming cleaning fee discount RIGHT AFTER their checking-in.

I felt guilty and gave some discount for the first claim.  Probably this guest wrote something in his own language on a noticeboard back in his own country.

At this time my cleaner tidied and cleaned up.  That is the reaso why I gave some discount because I thought my cleaner did not do his job properly.

Since then, few guests who are from the same country emailed me pictures right after checking-in which featuring one juice can left in a bin, a towel not hanging neatly, a book left on the sofa.

Few days later, I realized this guest took pictures not at the room they stayed orused but the next room before the cleaner coming.  I blindly believed they stayed at the photographed room. But it was not true.

Since then, the guests from the same country repeatedly requested some more discounts for the cleanliness problem with some pictures.  By doing this, they can get their accommodation fee cheaper, AirBnB staff are more covicible based on their photos to override their compensation disputes in between the guests and the host.  And if they cannot get any discount, leaving subjective bad reviews ruin the host reputation.

Seriously AirBnB should consider hiring an independent assessor for BEING FAIR on the cleanliness standards and guests' subjective reviews.

Otherwise the hosts will be dried up by subjective guests' requests for unfairness.

What is your thought?

4 Replies 4
Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

There are guests from outside Asia complaining about cleanliness of your listings as well... I'm confused.

As for discounts, some nations haggle and will not give up for the sake of it.

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Arisa0

If you are having several guests complain about cleanliness - and @Marzena4  is right, they are not all from the same countries - there must be some problem with the standard of cleanliness. In my opinion, if you are charging a cleaning fee, then the place really needs to be VERY clean and I can understand why a guest would ask for a refund if it is not.

Firstly, I would speak to your cleaner to make sure they clean to a sufficient standard. You are paying for it after all.

Secondly, there seems to be some issues with guests arriving early before rooms have been cleaned or wandering into other bedrooms. Are these rooms in your own home where you live or in a separate property? How do you greet guests when they arrrive and, if you do not, how do they access the accommodation?

I'm asking because I'm confused how guests can just show up early and enter a room that hasn't been cleaned yet or, even worse, one where the previous guests have not yet checked out! This shouldn't be happening. You need to take control of your guests' arrival times (I know this isn't easy, but you will have too many problems otherwise) and also they should not be allowed to go into other guest bedrooms they haven't paid for.

Re the cleanliness issues, I don't know if these claims are true or not, but some of the things complained about were:

- Hair. It is very off putting to find someone else's hair lying around. You/your cleaner should really clean up any hair before the guest arrives and also tie your hair up (if it is long) while you are cleaning, otherwise it's easy for a hair to fall here or there. Wearing something like a shower cap while you clean can also help.

- Bedding. One of your guests said it seemed like the bed had already been slept in. Do you change the bedlinens inbetween each guest? If not, this is an absolute must and the towels must be clean too.

- Rubbish. Make sure it is emptied beforehand. There shouldn't be dishes lying in the sink either.

- Rugs/carpets. It was mentioned they weren't clean. If you are already vacuuming them before a guest arrives, perhaps they are in need of a shampoo. I notice in your kitchen photo there is a rug right in front of the cooking/washing up area. I don't think that is a good idea as it is bound to get dirty there.

As a guest, I would expect all of the above even if I was not paying a cleaning fee.

Sorry, I am not trying to criticise. I can't tell from your listing photos how clean your place is, so I am just going from the comments in the reviews and what you've said in your post here and trying to find some solutions.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Arisa0

There is a big difference how we clean our own home where we live alone and how we clean the apartment we rent to our guests. It is normal bc they use the same towels, sheets , bathtub etc.. which other guests used before them, so everything has to be spotless and desinfected before each new guest arrival. 

You have to set up check out and check in times according to time needed to clean everything and make beds. And of course, don't ever allow early check ins if the place isn't ready. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

"On the surface of a soap one dark mark was left"

@Arisa0It is not acceptable in terms of cleanliness and hygiene when preparing a room for a new guests to leave them a bar of soap which has already been used by someone else. If you are going to use bar soap, you need to leave a fresh bar, in the wrapper, out for each guest.

Alternatively, use liquid soap. You can buy an inexpensive pump dispenser and top it up from a large bottle before new guests arrive.

As you have had several issues around cleanliness, it seems that neither you or your cleaner really understand the level of clean you have to maintain for your guests. Perhaps you know someone (someone's super-fussy fastidiously clean mother?) you can ask to go through the rental space with you after you have cleaned, but a day before you have another guest coming, to point out all the areas that have been overlooked by you and your cleaner.