Linen issue

Linen issue

We supply linen at an extra charge as hosts. After detailing this information in my messaging with a customer, and asking specifically whether they wanted linen supplied (which they declined) it appears they have still turned up without their own linen. We have supplied linen to them now. But my cleaner let them in and just gave them the linen. I am a little unsure how to proceed on whether to charge them for it or not?  Thoughts.

22 Replies 22
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Just message them to remind them that linen costs are in addition and raise a request for paying through the booking confirmation.

Having said that, it is unusual not to provide basics such as linens, towels, shampoo, soap etc, so if you are not including these, I would make it very clear in your listing.

I looked at it just now and couldn't see anywhere that you have indicated that linens are at an extra cost and how much that cost might be.

Thanks Helen,

I appreciate your feedback. We wont be charging the customer this time as it is a mix up. When you sign on to air bnb and complete the listing it does ask what you provide and we did not tick the extras of linen, towels etc so we assumed this was sufficient but will fix the listing to show that linen is an extra charge. Being a full house rental most of our customers are aware that linen is not provided nor are the essentials that might usually come with a traditional bnb or single room letting like you do. We do provide towels, soap, doonas etc, but we have not yet started providing sheets. By not providing sheets we can keep the price down to accomodate families and groups who are usually more than happy to provide their own. 

Cheers Justin

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Justin94

As @Helen3 noted, your listing does not make any mention of an additional linnen charge, which it should since providing them as part of the booking is the norm on this site. It does tend to come across as dodgey or scammy when a host discloses things like this after the booking and not before. And if your guest complains or reports this to Airbnb you'd be on the short side.

Thanks Andrea, 

Thanks for your honesty and I appreciate your opinion. I can understand that you may see it as dodgy or scammy but we are not renting individual room/s, we rent an entire house to one group or family at a time and we do not reside at the residence. During the completion of the listing of an entire house you have the ability to click that you offer linen and other extras, we did not click this option so assumed this was sufficient. This helps keep costs down for families and groups to be able to come and stay at our house. If airbnb offer this type of option when setting up a full house rental than I can hardly see how we are doing anything outside the guidelines or policies they have set. It is not unusual in our area for full houses to not offer this type of service. We have made the decision not to charge this customer as we think it probably should be stated in our listing, and will be shortly. 

Cheers 

Justin

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

i agree with the others on this subject....ive never heard of charging for linens, this is a 1st. Me personally i would not stay at a place that charges for basic bedsheets.

And since it is nowhere in your ad it sounds along the lines of a bait and switch. I would say you cannot and should not charge this guest because nowhere in your ad is it mentioned.

Wow Diane,

Where do I start 'Bait and Switch', thats a bit harsh.  

As mentioned above in previous replies, when you set up a listing for an entire house rental (not just a room) you have the option of ticking whether or not you provide linen and we did not tick that box. If airbnb offers this tick a box option I assume it is not as unusual as you think. This allows us to help keep costs down for full families and groups who are usually more than happy to provide their own linen. We would have to increase our rental price by an average of $60 a stay (at least) to accommodate the full usage of linen, towels etc. We do not live on the premise and cannot afford to be changing bedsheets every second night without that increase being passed onto our customers. In our area it is common in full house rentals to charge extra for linen. We are not a tradtional bnb like yourself that offers a room within the house you live. And I agree with your sentiment if I was staying in a tradtional bnb like you offer I would also expect linen to be provided. On a side note we have made a decision not to charge the customer this time and our listing will be updated shortly to reflect the extra linen costs.  Cheers Justin.

in my experience as a 3yr host and from reading these forums, most potential guests dont read the amrenities section of the ad. Well at least not for linens - maybe for air conditioning or washer/dryer. But it seems Most people read the general description, location and price. Also alot of times since they book so far in advance they often forget the house rules they read months back.

Sorry for the term bait n switch but theres alot of that on airbnb

I see youre a new host and we are just trying to help

Hi Diane,

We have not had the issue of people booking so far in advance yet so I see your point with that. But I also try and communicate with the guest on booking and then also within the last 5 days prior to arrival. All of our guests have been local so far (within 3 hours drive), So generally its not a huge imposition for them to chuck sheets in the car and it saves them money. I mean who doesnt love saving money.  

The listing has been updated now to reflect the sheeting cost and we are discussing whether we may in the future offer these as an included price. Cheers for your help

Justin

@Justin94  I also list a complete house set up just for tourists and I do not live there. I always supply linen, towels and some toiletries. In my area it is expected. People are arriving with lugage and I am sure that taking along sheets and towels would be very inconvenient for them. Yes, it is more work and more laundry, but I throw the sheets and towels in the wash while I clean the house. You do clean the house in between guests, don't you? I also supply toiletries in dispensers....such as soap, shampoo and conditioner.

Hi Monica, 

Yes we clean the house.  We outsource sheets supply so the charge we add is the charge we pay.

Cheers

Justin

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hi @Justin94

It doesn't matter whether it's a room in a house, an apartment or villa via Airbnb, the vast majority of people travelling expect linen to be provided as a matter of course. They also expect toiletries and in self contained accommodation hosts often include a basics kit ie condiments, oil, teas and coffees etc.

Perhaps in Australia this is not the case? Are your competitors on BNB for your sort of accommodation all charging extra for bedding?

Don't assume people will read what is checked and what is not. You need to emphasise up front there are charges and include it in your costs.

If you are focussing on catering for mainly Australian guests  - then BNB may not be the right site for you. Guests travelling by air don't want to be taking up valuable luggage space having to bring bedding.

I think you will find it will put a lot of people off booking your space, which is a shame as it looks lovely.

If you want to continue with Airbnb I would suggest including linen and increases your prices.

Hi Helen, 

It does vary between houses in Australia, but many people do offer linen at extra prices. You tend to find that obviously the more that is offered the higher the price of the accommodation. We are catering towards low to medium affordability for families and small groups. All of our guests have been local (within 3 hours drive) and as such it is not usually a huge imposition for them to chuck sheets in the car as they drive down. I can completely understand and agree that international guests or domestic air travellers may not wish to take up valuable luggage space, and that is why the option is there for us to provide it. We have changed the listing as you suggested to reflect the extra pricing now. We feel air BNB is fine for us, whilst it is an international website it is fast becoming a strong domestic market for local holidayers as well with the app that is available.   

Hopefully it doesnt put to many people off staying and the ones that do might appreciate the saving they can make by having the option of supplying their own linen.

Cheers

Justin 

Donna37
Level 5
Gourhel, France

Europeans and Americans would always expect bed linen, towels and basic toiletries in a home or any other place they rent overnight. We would never even think that these would not be provided. We have rented homes and apartments in Europe, America, New Zealand and Africa and these necessities have always been provided.

Hi Donna,

Its not that we do not provide linen, we try and keep our price down by offering the option of not supplying and our pricing reflects this. Many local holidayers are happy to provide their own linen to allow them to save a few bucks but it also allows the international stayers (we have not had any yet) and others the option of having them supplied at a nominal fee (the same fee we are charged).

Cheers for your feedback

Justin