Long Term Rental Advice

Long Term Rental Advice

Evening all,

Just wanted some advice on long-term rentals from a tenants point of view. Currently in conversation with a Air BnB host about renting her property for 12 months as she is away on American with work and wants to rent her property for the full periods why she’s gone. Like all Air BnB you don’t see the property before, so she is asking for two months payment (made up of first month payment and security deposit) to be made on Air BnB to reserve the period of time, and then meet a rental agent (who helps over see the property whilst she is away) to look at the property. If we don’t like the property we are entitled to a full refund and the reservation is released. Obviously the payments would then be a monthly transaction. We would also sign another agreement to agree to the year rental meaning it is ours to rent for the year. Does anyone have any experience with this? And is the information regarding refund if property is not what we expect true? 

Thanks guys.

D

5 Replies 5
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

This sounds like this scam, @Daniel3007 :

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/Rental-scam-using-Airbnb-How-should-I-go-forward-if-at-all/...

What you are describing is not how Airbnb works. 

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Daniel3007 

This sounds like a well known scam, so take care !

Procedures you mention are NOT airbnb procedures.

Did you found the listing on the official Airbnb website www.airbnb.com ?

Those scams normally appear on Airbnb-look-a-like-websites.

Best regards,

Emiel

She said she would put up the listing tomorrow and make the payment via AirBnb. I don't know what to think ha.

Yadira22
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Daniel3007 

Hi- sounds like a scam. 

Airbnb is not that well suited for long term rentals- not my personal experience, just my opinion. 

If tou are renting for that long I would suggest you rent via the traditional route and in the case of moving to another city or abroad you are always welcome to rent an Airbnb for a week or so to see which locations and accommodation(s) best suit you! Have s great day 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Daniel3007  SCAM. She may put the property up on Airbnb tomorrow, then she'll take it down the instant you send any money and you'll never hear from her again. You'll lose your money and you won't have a place to stay (because it doesn't actually exist, or at least it's someone else's property she has stolen photos of). 

Airbnb doesn't work like this at all, and it would be almost unheard of for an Airbnb host to rent a place to someone for a year.