Long Time Host...First Time Post. How much weight does the Hosts Voice Carry?

Andrea2711
Level 3
Oklahoma City, OK

Long Time Host...First Time Post. How much weight does the Hosts Voice Carry?

Hello Airbnb Community Members. My husband and I are long time Airbnb hosts and up until recently have loved every asspect of what we do. For those of you who will be inclined to click on our profile to take a look at our listings, I have been here in the community searching for answers about things we have recently started dealing with for a couple of months. That time here has given me a pretty good indication of how many of you feel about those of us who hosts multiple properties. 

Let me start with this, My husband and I do represent a large number of Airbnb Homes. We do personally live in 4 of these locations throughout different times of the year, each of our 4 children have homes that we host that they either currently live in, or will live in during the off season of school. 

The additional homes that we help host belong to Military members who have been deployed out of Country for a period of more than 3 years. This started with one of our very close friends homes and word of mouth spread to others that were in a similar situation, so we took those too. In order for us to take on a Military home there has to be an extenuating circumstance (risk of foreclosure, inability to sell ect.)  That however is a post for another day all together. 

If you read through our reviews you will see that it is my husband and myself that take care of all of our homes. When you check in, it is us that you meet. When you message us, it is us that answers. When the home needs to be reset...You guessed it, it is us that takes care of that. We tried contracting help through multiple services last year for cleaning and it was a disaster. Our goal is to always provide a great experience for guests, a goal that we have discovered is not on the radar (or even in the same orbit) of many cleaning people. 

This is where we are as hosts currently and I am wondering if I may get some feedback from others that are well experienced here as well. 

My husband and I have played a large roll in the recent advocation of keeping Airbnb a legal option here in OKC. We have appeared before the City Council multiple times in both Oklahoma and Texas to speak on the benefits and positive aspects this particular platform offers. Our opinions and voices have been heard because of the positive role we play in both of those markets. 

We are also host to one of the largest Airbnb Meet Up groups in Oklahoma City and have partnered in the last 3 years alone with helping 50+ hosts get their Airbnb started. MANY of the people we help would fall into the category of Elderly/Disabled, single income with either space in their personal home or an attached property to let. These are folks that are dependant on the income with very few income earning opportunities available. My husband and I help to restore, furnish, create profiles and help them navigate guests. We help them work with what they have so they can provide what they need. 

Our passion is not the income this industry brings, it is the relationships we are able to build along the way. I have told many people I would do this for free if I could and in reality many months, probably have. 

We have gone above and beyond to protect ourselves as hosts and as of this morning are watching Airbnb refund a Guest AGAIN who came into our home, broke the rules that are clearly defined THREE times in our listing and are then again sent to guests within an hour of their booking and then AGAIN when they are checking in. While the customer Service representative who's name is Luke, was kind and gracious in helping me, he also let me know that regardless of all I had done, the guest would still be refunded OR I could keep the reservation, let them stay and hope the damage wasn't too bad (he had 5 more days on his stay) by the time he checked out if I needed the money.  The even better part, this guest will within minutes be able to book another hosts home and do the same to them. 

Essentially I feel like right now I just made a decision to make my problem, another hosts instead....Sickening. 

Last week we had a Guest do damage in excess of 12k. When discovered, we immediately contacted our attorneys and Airbnb. All videos, photos, estimates and other documentation have been submitted to Airbnb, but guess what? Not a single call to us. A video of the guests literally allowing their children to rip our personal property apart and throw the discarded pieces into our pool AFTER they tore our sliding Glass doors from their STEAL tracking during a wrestling match was provided....crickets. 

But don't worry, 18 solid hours of cleanup with 6 people and a few makeshift repairs and we had the property ready for the next guest 24 hours later...So Airbnb lost exactly ZERO dollars. Why should they care...Right?? 

I wonder what impact it would have for Airbnb if I took my voice to The City Council and were open and honest about how Airbnb actually treats hosts and what their booking process currently is? I wonder what impact it would have, if in the most attended City Council Subject meetings a Host that everyone in this city knows with over 1,000 documented trips and reviews where to provide the recorded phone calls and emails of Airbnb simply allowing these substandard guests to continue booking properties while hosts are left holding the bag for damages incurred. I wonder what the impact would be city wide for HOAs to have their hands on information that would confirm the fears that most of them have. 

I wonder what impact it would have if my husband and I finally accepted an invitation from another booking platform to provide feedback on how hosts could be better supported, accepted their training, let them take on all of our properties as premier properties and then took to our personal Social Media Following of over 25k ST/Vacation rental owners to educate them on what the TOS for Airbnb really mean for those of us willing to put our personal properties up to be leveraged by a Billion Dollar company that literally owns zero of the Real Estate that is the backbone of their business model? 

I wonder what would happen if one of the trusted and valued voices didn't just take all of their properties and left, what if they helped an entire city do the same? What if they became the voice that was heard at many City council meetings? 

Dear Airbnb, for a company that owns ZERO of the Brick and Mortar it depends on to bring in these Guests you clearly value so much, you may want to start valuing the voice of the hosts that actually house and take care of them for you. If you go away Airbnb, we as hosts move to another platform.

If all of your hosts go away, you have nothing to provide Guests and no need to have a platform to attract them. 

Now tell me, who really feeds who here?

You have THOUSANDS of Hosts that are working their tails off to help continue the evolution of your Company...just support them with the guarantees YOU promise them when signing up. It really is that simple. 

22 Replies 22
Maria188
Level 8
Wells, United Kingdom

Hi @Andrea2711  Goodness me I really feel your pain. I too am a longtime superhost who has just been completely shafted by airbnb as a result of the hugely unfair Extenuating Circumstances Policy. Like you, I no longer feel I am being listened to and that guests take priority over us hosts in all cases.  Sadly Im not sure anyone from Airbnb ever reads these posts. I think its just a way of allowing us to vent our frustration without bothering them ( please if anyone know differently, let me know).  I recently emailed the airbnb mangement team and copied my emails onto a feedback form. Not sure if I'll get a response but one can but dream. Good luck! 

Interesting that you mention they likely do not read these.

I would almost guarantee that to be true. Last night I went through the 1,000+ responses from Hosts on the Airbnb Admin created post on the updates they had done to the review system in an attempt they claim to make it "more fair".

Not a single response from anyone at Airbnb to any of them.

They should interview a room full of Husbands who have for years ignored their angry, often overlooked, unappreciated wives and see how that works out. It works out in the form of them coming home from work one day to an Atlas moving truck and the only thing they are left with is their toothbrush...if they are lucky. 

What I can tell you is that their lack of attention on these forums are allowing top rated hosts to come here, be recognized and publically post their frustrations while another platform is taking down every single note. 

That other platform has headhunters watching these forums that find hosts like us who have great reputations with proven track records in the STR and Vacation Home Industry to begin courting us.

Which I believe is an incredibly easy task given the current climate. 

This is what I will say. There is a platform that is already established making the changes needed to begin mass recruiting the leading Hosts of this industry. They are in the process of creating proper channels for In Home/Owner Occupied Hosts, Seasonal Hosts, Multiple Property Owners, Executive Rental Owners/Managers, Vacation Home Owners and Commercial Property Managers. On top of that, they are creating the support needed for each of those individual spaces. 

STR is not a one size fits all business model. This platform is VERY host centric. 

My husband and I have been in this Industry for 15+ years. We bring in approximately 73% of our business through personal sites. Airbnb is in no way responsible for building my business. The work I put in, the relationship I create with guests and the consistent product we provide is what has built our business. I think Airbnb has forgotten this. We as hosts share OUR time, OUR efforts and OUR homes to help continue to build a platform that I think honestly believes are so untouchable they believe they  have hosts held hostage. 

Hosts opening their homes are what built this platform. My grandad, who was a brilliant businessman might tell them to be careful forgetting where they came from. If they continue to run all of their hosts off they are going to be left with a bunch of Guests with either subpar housing options managed by slumlords or hotel rooms. 

Congratulations Airbnb you are purposely transforming yourself in travelocity. Well done. 

We actually started booking a large portion of our personal people through the Airbnb platform 4 years ago because we felt the fees we lost were made up with a Host Guarantee that was less an expensive and offered better coverage than our private plans and streamlined much of our communication with guests. Ask me how I feel about that now........

The other platform has started assembling a Fleet of Atlas trucks, and as a member of the current underappreciated Host club, I feel there is a more likely chance that Ill be loading up when they pull in than actually coming to the table to have a constructive conversation with Airbnb where we see the actual changes needing to be made in one of the fastest growing Industries in the world. 

I am considering renting my home, as it is the only outlet for me to keep it (as opposed to having to sell it).  All these posts are really scaring me- as I had thought that Airbnb really protects the homes/hosts.  This is all disappointing. 

Are there any other rental companies that provide better protection of personal property damage and/or horrible guests?  It seems, this is the white space in rental sites.

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Laura_C,  read this thread.

2019-08-18 Laura administrator.jpg

Laura is not an "administrator" as it looks, she's the head

of a 100 employee team at airbnb to help hosts to be more successful.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Andrea2711 @Maria188 

Please contact @Laura_C who is ABB Head of Customer services in relation to your issues, if you haven't already.

She does follow up on issues that need assistance and is very approachable.

If you click on her name and send her a msg I'm sure she will follow up on this when she has a moment.

Meanwhile, hang in there as you are providing a fabulous service for all those who protect the wider community.

All the best

Central To All Home & Location

Thank you for the advice @Helen427  Having written numerous emails to various case managers (who seem to have little authority) and to Airbnb management itself (with zero response), I am not inclined to take the time yet again to explain my situation.  All the details are in the message threads to airbnb support.  If @laura is really an employee of airbnb I imagine she has access to these. Therefore if she is willing to help, I would appreciate it if she reached out to me. 

Kat84
Level 10
San Pedro, Philippines

How much weight does the Hosts Voice Carry?

Your weight is percentage only of the guest's weight, because the guest pays Higher!

The real truth is that everyone here came for money. Only Airbnb did try to create a sense of community, at least they did something compare to other platforms that are just very clear money generating machines, where no one knows including the host the word "voice".

Now, you came here for money too. Otherwise you will not be running many listings at this point of time. You did incredible job, I seriously appreciate it. Maybe it's a time for you to think how not to reply on Airbnb long distance customer service agents, which are paid peanuts.

If I were you, I will look for a good lawyer and outline short term agreement rentals, which will protect you from damages Irregardless of Airbnb decisions. Insurance might also help... 

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

@Andrea2711 Excellent post. It seems to me that Airbnb now favors it's commercial listers (you may have multiple properties but you are not a commercial lister / property manager) and could care less about the more traditional hosts it built it's entire business on. If we don't like their guest favoritism and commercial listings favoritism tactics (e.g., unwarranted refunds, retaliatory reviews, commercial listers operate under their own special, privileged policies courtesy of Airbnb, etc), we can leave.

Kind of ironic that as a host I feel discriminated against by Airbnb simply for being a home-sharing, traditional, non-commercial host, especially given Airbnb's 'Woke' posturings and extreme 'anti-discrimination' policies (policies that assume we as hosts are likely to be racist or otherwise prejudiced against guests who are 'different' than us). 

Pathetic.

Unfortunately, the host’s voice carries little weight. 

It’s best to seek guidance from attorneys and insurance providers knowledgeable in your local jurisdiction’s laws.

That’s the nature of the beast with Airbnb.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What a horrible thing to happen. Personally I don't feel it is relevant how many properties you have or how much you have advocated for Airbnb. Airbnb should treat all hosts fairly and equitably under its Guarantee.

In your situation @Andrea2711  I would contact the media if Airbnb refuse to consider your claim. (have they said why they won't?)

As large scale property managers I am sure you also have home insurance to cover your properties, so hopefully you have also contacted your insurance company to make a claim and have had better luck with them?

Cormac0
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

@Andrea2711 

You're like 80% of hosts, Airbnb cannon fodder, and you've just come the to the realisation that "The Airbnb community" stick is just self-serving marketing baloney.

Airbnb relies on Host to help other Hosts prosper on this site providing our time for free, it’s just smoke and mirror stuff and the only real winners in this whole charade are the Airbnb equity owners.

Sean433
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

@Andrea2711 

Sorry to hear of what happened to you. Unfortunately no matter how many listings you have or whether you are a superhost or not, it does not seem that matters at all during a claim. I know because I manage 9 listings.

I once had a guest invite about 50 kids to throw a party at our largest listing, many looked like they could be under age. We were so lucky we caught it in the early stages and kicked them out but there was still an incredible amount of mess- garbage, vomit, stains on walls. Luckily, I had my wife record me entering the home and crashing the party.

The video was very revealing of the amount of potential under age drinking. After airbnb would not get back to me, I reached out to airbnb media and mentioned i have video of several under age kids drinking and partying at my home as well as a lot of upset neighbours. It wasn't until I mentioned the word "under age" that they responded. They responded only because this could have been very bad PR for them. That seems to be the only thing they care about- not the actual host.

Prior to me mentioning the video and pictures I have, the case manager was outrageously defending our guest saying she is a student and cannot afford to pay you for damages. Seriously? They suggested that because she is a student, she should someone receive a pass for destroying someone else's property. This was the straw that broke the camels back and what lead me to contact airbnb media. Eventually it was resolved but the process was horrible and left me with the conclusion that nobody will have your back in this no matter how loyal you are to airbnb or how much money you make them.

Keep all the evidence you have, it is your leverage.

Jennifer464
Level 4
Puntarenas Province, Costa Rica

I just came here to say similar things. I had guests who clearly broke the rules and had a party. My neighbors reported it to me and it was clear by the amount of alcohol and beer bottles over flowing from the garbage.  They also smoked IN the house which required additional cleaning. On top of it they did $6000 work of damage to my original hardwood floors that are 100+ years old. Airbnb denied my claim with little response and simply said, this is our final decision and we will not email about it further. I foolishly thought this would a one off customer service agent but nope!

Several weeks ago a guest damaged my $250 linen duvet cover (I provide top quality linens in the home). The bleach spot was not there with the previous cleaning and it had to be this guest. I provided the original receipt, the receipt to replace the duvet with the exact same duvet (that happened to be on sale), pictures etc. Airbnb deemed that duvet covers are only worth $109 and sent me that. I appealed their decision and they came back with the same crappy response, this is our final decision and we won't email about it again.  Mind you, this entire situation has been with them for 3+ weeks and they have no sense of urgency. I replied anyway with quotes from their host guarantee and if no response I plan to involve my lawyer in both claims. I am tired of them siding with the guests. It has really created a bunch of entitled guests and changed the culture of Airbnb experience entirely. 

I have placed my home on competitors site and as soon as it gains traction I will will be removing my listing from Airbnb.  It's not worth the risk of damage that the OP stated. 

@Jennifer464 

Was the damage caused by local guests? I've learned not to accept any local guests (those who live within 2 hours driving distance from our properties). After I enforced this rule, we have had no parties.

Diversification is key and other sites actually offer better protection and actually charge the guests who cause damage their security deposit. Airbnb never actually charges guests the damage deposit making it  pointless to even suggest to us hosts or guests that there is such a fee.