Long term stay

Nicola552
Level 1
Lara, Australia

Long term stay

Wanted to reach out to community and ask what, as a host I should consider in relation to long term stays and utility costs should they be paid by the host ? or should they be paid by the tenants of the stay?

lets say 1 month or more.

any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Reg.

3 Replies 3
Solveig0
Level 10
Lørslev, Denmark

Hi Nicola, 

In many places there are  legal requirements once a rental is long term, and what defines "long term" also varies according to local legislation. I would look at what your local legislation says about this? It might not say anything, but just in case... 

I've included it in the price those few times I've done long term, as its just easier, but I can see on the forum that people do both. 

But no matter what you do, make sure it is clearly understood by both parties before the booking is confirmed. 

Yours, 

Solveig 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

You should build your utility costs into your daily/monthly rate @Nicola552 

@Nicola552 they need to be built into the cost of your rate, you've got buckleys of recovering them from the guest if you expect them to pay a utility bill on top of the airbnb rental.

You need to consider whether long term is viable & secure through airbnb. You can't take & hold a security deposit, you have minimal chance of recovering any money from the guest or airbnb for damages and your insurance may cost a lot more for airbnb compared to a traditional renter. If you want to take on long term guests a traditional lease agreement is a lot safer for you as a host.