Lose super host status over guests not leaving reviews.

Jasmine27
Level 3
Phuket, Thailand

Lose super host status over guests not leaving reviews.

We do not understand how Airbnb can consider the super-host status of a host to be dependent on the percentage of reviews the host has from their guests.

We ask all our guests to make a review for us, and we have no means to force any guest to leave us a review.

Despite this, we are expected to be liable for a decision entirely up to the guest. We've had guests extremely satisfied with their stay and saying they would leave us a wonderful review, but some in the end just don't, perhaps they forget to, or simply just don't have the time to. 

In any case, is not right at all for the the super-host status be dependent the percentage of guests who leave reviews rather than the quality of the reviews that guests made, when people from different areas of the world may behave entirely differently when it comes to providing reviews.

From all that Airbnb has been advertising, the super host status was meant to indicate hosts who stand out in hosting standards with their outstanding quality of service.

But including this factoran action entirely up to the guestwhich has nothing to do with host's standards and quality of hosting is just not right at all; especially to this extent.

14 Replies 14
Sabrina-And-John0
Level 4
Machynlleth, United Kingdom

Totally agree and slightly puzzled by it all.  Our message says that we have only acheived 25% of guests reviewing - but by my recokning its nearer 95%!!  Maybe it'll reset itself.  If it doesn't in a few days I will give them a ring - they are really helpful on the phone.

Felicia48
Level 7
California, United States

I am about to lose my Superhost status for the same reason.  I bust my hump to give the best customer service and my guest always tell me so.  Some of them text me or email also letting me know how much they enjoyed their stay.  Some just don't!  Some people hate leaving reviews because in their mind they feel their holiday is done and now it's back to the grind of life.....nobody's got time to leave a review feeling.  What should I do to not lose my SuperHOst status?  Thanks

Susan1404
Level 10
Covington, GA

I am in the same boat as all of you.  I just achieved Superhost status for the first time and was very pleased about it.  I received a notification a few days ago that I was only at 28% success on receiving feedback, but I calculated it and like @Sabrina-And-John0 my percentage is much better than that at around 95%.  What does Airbnb expect us to do - beg, plead and cry from our guests for guest's reviews?  There is no sensibility at all about this.  Since I received the notification, I have received another very good review and yet my percentage rate has not changed yet.  I am truly mystified.

Susan151
Level 10
Somerville, MA

@Jasmine27 @Susan1404 @Felicia48 @Sabrina-And-John0  Check your stats now. There was a "glitch" over  the weekend. Review percentages were totally, and completely, wrong. You might find that your percentage is now correct. Mine seems to have been restored to its correct number.

@Susan151, I just read that in another posting.  Thanks for letting me know because I was seriously concerned about it.  In fact, that was the main reason I logged in this evening - to see if others had this problem as well.  I will sleep better tonight now. 🙂

Sabrina-And-John0
Level 4
Machynlleth, United Kingdom

Mine has reset itself too - I've had that a few times where the system hasn't caught up withitself - and it does cause concern at the time. However, it has highlighted the strange criteria that is being applied to hosts status that is beyond their control.

Felicia48
Level 7
California, United States

@Susan151Thank you so much Susan for the heads up!!!  Hope everyone has a great day

I am not going to get superhost status as I recently had my first and only cancellation.

in any case I was surprised to get an inquiry and booked her a week after this canellation.

here's what I do: (and I copied this technique from another host way back when the community just opened.)

in my house manual, I emphasize the importance of a review for the airbnb community. 

I say something like: "Lastly, we know that airbnb is built on honest and well thoughtof review.

However, please do not wait until your are ready to write your review to let us know that we did not meet your expectation. We would like to have an opportunity to make it right rather than read it on your review later."

I mentioned review a few times

Then at check out, before the day ends, I write them a message (hand written) or text them that I have written their review. Again I tell them that my business depends on HONEST AND THOUGHTFUL REVIEWS... If It's positive, I copy and paste my review to them so they know wht I wrote so far it has helped on those times that I remember to do it. 

I have hosted several folks who just didn't leave reviews.. I ususally check their past reviews of their host and noticed they did not leave one at all. 

Joanne426
Level 2
Northland, New Zealand

Same situation,  I am about to lose my Superhost Status because I  have a lot of company  reps stay on a weekly basis and they don't leave reviews each time. For example I  have had one rep stay weekly for 14 weeks and only leave 2 reviews ( which were excellent) . I don't believe this should impact my Superhost status.  

Naaz1
Level 1
Reno, NV

Yes I agree I am also in the same boat. We cannot force our guests to leave a review. it doesn’t make any logical sense for AIRBNB to place this requirement. As super hosts we need to sign a petition and have this condition removed.

Heather740
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

I agree with your concerns about our status being affected by a guest not leaving a review.  However, this aspect for this platform and others, such as VRBO, etc. actually helps keep up our standards of great super hosts.  Therefore, can Airbnb factor in a lower requirement for post stay reviews, so that our data analytics don't negativley affect our staus with here with Airbnb?

Nutth0
Host Advisory Board Member
Chiang Mai, Thailand

@Jasmine27  totally understand. I hope one day, Airbnb will add " - or - Host write a review 90% of all reservation" because we were already done our part and writing a review to our guest. 

I was told that when there is an update, it sometimes comes with a glitch in the system that they end up fixing, so if the numbers aren't right for you that is probably why.  It seems to happen quite a bit (with every update maybe?). They seem to fix them pretty fast.... I'm just always checking so I happen to see them.

On that note, I also do not understand why a guest's decision to not leave me feedback should have any bearing on my status.  I, too, have had guests stay multiple times and only leave feedback the first round.

I guess (maybe) Airbnb considers no feedback an indication that something was wrong in which the guest chose not to address.  However, there are so many instances where this is simply not the case.

(Long sigh....)

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jasmine27 

Jasmine, I feel your location is working against you!

You are dealing with 'travellers' .....holiday makers who may be part way through their adventure and just don't get around to completing their responsibilities.

My review rate is very high running at around 90% but most of my guests are from my state. They are locals wanting a few days away from the kids, or have a bit of work in the area........they have both the time and the opportunity to leave a review, and they do.

I think you need to reinforce in your house rules folder how important the Airbnb review system is to hosts so that your guests will make that extra effort to leave a review.

The other thing Jasmine, do you leave out a guest book for guests to sign? If you do guests who put an entry in the guest book will feel they have done their duty and do not need to leave a review.

Guest books and Airbnb reviews do not go hand in hand!

Cheers.......Rob