Lower views and bookings in November and December in Edinburgh

Viv-And-Paul1
Level 1
London, United Kingdom

Lower views and bookings in November and December in Edinburgh

I have been hosting a flat in Edinburgh for the last 5 years on the ABB platform and have never experienced such a sharp fall in both views and bookings for this November and December. I have lowered my prices but am still getting nothing coming through. I spoke to ABB and they said I was appearing on the first page of the search for Edinburgh Old Town but when I asked friends and family to search they only found me on page 7. ABB says everything is okay at their end so I'm just wondering it other people are experiencing the same thing in the Edinburgh market. Perhaps it is just a general down turn?

2 Replies 2
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I think hosts in the UK are experiencing a downturn because of all the uncertainty around Brexit. (Do you attract many visitors from Europe?). @Viv-And-Paul1 

It's also likely that that you are operating in an exceedingly crowded marketplace.

Have you looked at something like Airdna to see what occupancy rates are like for comparable properties in your city?

Have you looked at other channels to promote your listing and spoken to the tourist board about opportunities to advertise your listing through them and other relevant partners?

Thank you very much for this Helen. I was wondering about the Brexit effect. I do get guests from Europe but also from all over the world and with quite a lot from the USA. Up until now Edinburgh has been an all year round good holiday rental market and although November is slower than other months I've never had zero bookings!

I have never heard of Airdna but will search for it as I would love to see what occupancy rates are like overall in the city. 

I have never had to use another platform up until now as ABB has provided a good level of bookings but I think I may now need to list on other sites such as Home and Away. Do you have any experience of other platforms?