Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Maine is a really big state

David64
Level 4
Yarmouth, ME

Maine is a really big state

I have a listing in the Portland Maine area. I frequently have guest that arrive and want to know how far it is to Bar Harbor Maine. In the summer it can easlily be a 5to 6 hour drive from here. I try to explain to guest that it is very long drive and that there are spots here in Southern Maine just as beautiful as the Bar Harbor area in the surounding area. Many of the make the drive all the way up  to Bar Harbor and back in one day. Seeing them the next day they have all said the same thing. It was a very long day in the car and they did not have enough time to enjoy the area. I dont know how to impress upon them that they can have a very short drive to beautiful Maine coastline and have time to enjoy it. I feel sorry that they have wasted their time in this beautiful area to spend 12 to 14 hours in a car. Anyone have any suggestions? Want vistiors to enjoy the beauty of this great state.

7 Replies 7

You can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink.  Personally, I'd create a section in your listing details that clearly demarks how far you are to popular attractions - there used to be a "getting around" section for this, you can see it on our listing.  Simply list them and the distance/time to each place. You will have done more than enough to try and counsel people on where  you are and how they will be spending their time if their goal is Bar Harbor. 

As I stated everyone that has done the drive to Bar Harbor has done this after talking with me and being informed how long the dirve is. I provide a Maine atlas and maps showing distance and time. Its like the only thing they seem to know in this entire huge state is Bar Harbor and will not be talked out of going. Its just the look of exhaustion the next day when I see them. I feel bad but I guess that some people just feel that they have not been to Maine without dirving to Bar Harbor and back, with no time to see anything while they are there. I hate to say this but you really cannot help the stupid.

Cynthia-and-Chris1
Level 10
Vancouver, WA

No help here, but I had two gals from Taiwan stay over the summer who thought Seattle was just a skip away since my listing is also in Washington state.  I dont think they realized Washington is a big state!  Seattle is about 3 hours away by car and these girls thought they could take a bus... nope.

Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

I see your "Maine is a big state" and "Washington is a big state" and raise you "Ontario is a big province". From here they have taken 600-km round-trip day drives to Niagara Falls, against strong advice. Cannot be stopped. So I have no good advice, only sympathy.

I love Maine! I was a lighthouse keeper near Bath for a season, @David64. Your part of Maine is the best! 🙂

@Lawrene0 YOU WERE A LIGHTHOUSE KEEPER?!?!  I thought you were awesome before, but now it's official.  🙂

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

@David64, I know this is an old thread, but I'm glad I found it.  I get the desire to see Acadia - it's one of the top national parks in the country.  But if you want to go to Maine to slow down and get away from your super-busy life, why do you want to spend all day in the car to get to a really busy summer town like Bar Harbor?  There is so much Maine coolness around Portland!

My listing is on the Blue Hill Peninsula.  As you know, it's the last peninsula before Mt. Desert Island, but Bar Harbor is still an hour's drive away.  That's in the first couple of lines of my listing.  If anyone asks, I tell them.  But here's my favorite thing:  the guests who DON'T ask, and then give me 4 stars for location because it's not close to Bar Harbor.

There are a TON of listings on Mt. Desert Island and in Bar Harbor itself.  But when someone does a search for Bar Harbor, my listing always comes up.  I don't understand Airbnb's sense of geography, but what are you gonna do.

Phil231
Level 2
Gouldsboro, ME

Like Ann, I just found this thread too, and am glad I did.

We just started listing our place on the Schoodic Peninsula this spring, and already have had people thinking they could just pop in to Bar Harbor - or Portland - on a whim during a 2 day stay. I have it spelled out how far we are in driving time, and that summer trafic will make it take longer, but people will do what they want to do.

As far as Airbnb's sense of geography, they may look at things "as the crow flies" instead of as the roads dictate. I've had that problem with a lot of searches that think we are only a couple of miles from Bar Harbor and the AI doesn't realize there is water between here and there.

Such is life in these modern times.

Phil
Aunt Suzy's Cozy Cottage
Downeast Maine