Making dog guests great guests!

Paige73
Level 6
Lansdowne, PA

Making dog guests great guests!

Hi ya'll!

I've been reading about the problems hosts are having with dogs as guests in their airbnbs, and wanted to share how I go about making sure my furry guests are great guests. 

1) Have comprehensive dog rules to be read before booking. I inbed a codeword they must use so I know they've read it. I've included my "dogs rule dog rules" below. Please feel free to use. 

2) Make it personal. I've found making a personal connection with people always makes them treat my place better. "Idaho's amazing!" "My mother's name is Alison" anything. I leave out a dog bed,  toys and a milk bone with a little scrap of paper with the dogs name wrapped around it. It costs 10 cents and 30 seconds and people freaking lose their minds over it.

3) Leave cleaning supplies. People really will clean if you give them the opportunity.  I've found fancy or cute cleaning supplies work best. I use Method. The bottles are pretty and can be left out where folks can see them. If you leave them a vacuum, they'll use it. DON'T ask them to clean.

4) Use mattress protectors. 

Dogs rule, dog rules!

1) Email or bring proof of vaccinations.
2) Must be spayed/neutered or have a breeder of merit certificate from the AKC.
4) The mattress protectors provided must be used on all beds.
5) The dog must never be left alone in the apartment.
6) The dog must be potty trained.
7) The dog must be at least 1 year old.
😎 You must pick up after your dog whether you use the backyard or walk it around the neighborhood.
9) You must stay with your dog if using the backyard, and make sure the gate is closed properly.
10) I must meet the dog on arrival. If I'm not satisfied that it meets my requirements, I'll give you a list of boarding facilities nearby you can use at your own expense.

If you chose to book, it will be assumed you've read and agreed to these rules. Prove you've read this whole thing with the code word "woof" when you request to book, otherwise I will decline the booking.

If your dog is a service dog (not an ESA or a pet) none of the above applies. No cats, other types of animals can be discussed ahead of booking.

Ok! Having said all that, I hope you and your pooch have a great stay! I love dogs and travel with my Cavalier King Charles Spaniel all the time.
Here are some tips to make doggie's stay as pleasant as yours.

1) Keep his diet consistant. Bring food, treats and water from home. It sucks to have a bad tummy while traveling!
2) Bring her bed and some toys. I have a small dog bed and some toys for my furry guests, but the familiar can be comforting.
3) At home, how does he let you know he needs to go out? Bells on the door, his leash? Make sure he knows how to ask in a new place.
4) She's probably thrilled to be travelling with you, but dogs are creatures of habit and new situations stress them out. A couple of nice long walks can really help alleviate her anxiety. This is a lovely dog walking neighborhood. It's a safe area with tree lined streets.

0 Replies 0