Messy guest

Kb2
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Messy guest

Hello - just wanted to get some tips on how to ask a guest to clean up after themselves in a communal area ie toilet left messy after use - unfit for others to view.  Normally I would just mention it to them - he is a nice quiet older chap very busy with his work.  A cleaner is employed regularly but they cannot visit every day if it is messy every day and I will lose the cleaner if they are not happy to clean.  This is just an issue for me because of previous complaints - I do not want the other guest to be upset about it either.

6 Replies 6
Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

"Harry, the shared toilet situation isn't really working well. I've noticed it recently and been getting complaints from the other guests that the toilet situation isn't working that well.My cleaner comes regularly but not to wipe up stains and spills, and because of this may I remind you that guests are expected to tidy up after themselves as a curtesy to others. You can read this in ....."

Something to that extent.

If it doesn't improve much or enough that day or the next, message him through the Airbnb message thread to keep a record of this in case of later problems. Simply mention the situation again and that you'd like to repeat yesterday's agreement etc. etc.

Then think of how you want to handle the situation (extra cleaning paid by him?), and keep everything on the message board - reiterate conversations, so that if Airbnb needs to be involved at a later point you'll have proof the problem didn't arise out of the blue or was a figment of your imagination.

Hope this helps.

Kb2
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

Thank you - sounds reasonable and professional to me.  That's what I'll do.......

I have a sign

What does the sign say?

@Kb2@Sergio-and-Nicole0 "as it is a shared bathroom i appreciate guests who keep a clean, dry bathroom in respect for the next person". I should say the sign is in their bedroom.

Kb2
Level 2
England, United Kingdom

This is also a great idea....