Minimum age?

Mishi1
Level 2
Myrtle Beach, SC

Minimum age?

Is there a guideline, or law about minimum age for guests to be to book?  I was asked that question by a potential guest, which led me to decline the booking... as I suspected she was underage.  Is there any rule with Airbnb about age requirements?

I am getting requests, and some of the photos look very young!  I do not want to eliminate someone because of a photo, but is thre a way of verifying age?  Verigying they have a phone, and email tells me nothing.

Mishi

16 Replies 16
Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

Just put it in the house rules that it is an adult only rental.  Then if they agree that they are an adult you are covered.  If they turn out to be underage then they have broken the house rules and you can kick them out.  Easy.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

min age is 18.

Melanie58
Level 10
Boise, ID

I think it is 18 to have contract be legally binding.  interesting question though - like with apartments rentals and stuff parents often act as a co-signer - wonder if you could have an airbnb rental with a co-signer?

Airbnb doesn't pemit booking on behalf of another party. https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/427/can-i-book-on-behalf-of-a-friend-or-family-member

Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

Mishi, you look very young in your photo.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

In most countries you have to be 18 or over to legally enter a contact. You have to be 18 to have an account on AirBnB. Depends really on what your view of young is....nowadays I see 30yrs olds as being quite young :-)))

@Gerry-And-Rashid0, you are still in your late 20's, surely? Or is that just me needing new glasses as my eyes fail in advanced middle age?

Brenda89
Level 1
Bay Saint Louis, MS

Can I add that a guest must be 25 years old? 

Have you received any response to this question? I would prefer to have a minimum age of 25 as well. Would consider 21 - but I really don't want younger than that!

Luis193
Level 1
Dayton, OH

Agree.  There are jursdictions that would not recognize a contract with a minor.  AirBnB, this is not a matter of discrimination but a matter of liability to the owner.

Ali40
Level 10
Crozet, VA

I'm a 20 year old Airbnb host (and homeowner). I would be hestitant to book someone my age!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why? about quarter of my guests are this age and have been delightful.

As long as you take the time to become comfortable with your guests before confirming the booking and have effective house rules in place, age is irrelevant.

Mary60
Level 2
New York, NY

I declined some 18 years olds: in one case they were "local" and wanted a love nest, in the other, they were local

and wanted an "in city crash pad" NOT good! I asked them their age and they told me 18 and I said I have a policy

that I don't rent to anyone who is not 21 or older.  If you don't believe them? I would ask to see an ID in the most polite

way possible. 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Mishi1

miminum age to have an account on Airbnb is 18. The reason being that in most countries anyone under this age is a minor and not able to enter into a legal contract.