Minors coming without a guardian

Liz140
Level 4
Danville, IN

Minors coming without a guardian

Recently a woman contacted me to make a reservaTimon for her 17 yr old and two friends. She was deceptive in her communications with me, and continued to use the pronoun “I” as in, “I will be arriving at 6 pm,” etc. It wasn’t until I asked her to clarify the number of guests coming that she admitted that the reservation was for her 17 yr old and two friends (both 18). I spoke with two different Airbnb counselors and got two very different sets of advice about this issue.

If Airbnb does not have a bonafide policy, about teenagers traveling with other barely legal, non-related, non-guardian, companions, they should. The 18 yr olds are not likely suitable as supervisors, and I doubt they will have a letter giving them permission to seek medical care, for the minor etc. It will probably be fine, but it could be just the opposite.

I was told by one Airbnb counselor to refuse the reservation and another stated I cannot discriminate based on age. It’s likely this situation has already occurred under my roof without my being made aware of the ages of each of my guests. But when it come to young, young women traveling alone I’m always concerned about a Natalie Holloway situation arising.

These young women are not my responsibility, I know but as a mom of a young woman, I can’t help but be concerned. 

In closing this is not to be confused with a situation such as an 18yr old with her own baby. She legal right and control over the baby, whereas the 18 yr olds in this situation do not.

7 Replies 7
Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Liz140  It's a third party booking against AirBnB's TOS. AirBnB should cancel it penalty free. Forget how old they are, they were not the ones booking. I would not host this group because of the liability with the 17 year old too much could go wrong.

Unfortunately, the mom cancelled it and one of the 18yr olds in the party rebooked it!

Liz140
Level 4
Danville, IN

PS Just to clarify the mom cancelled the reservation and moments later one of the 18yr olds in the party rebooked it. Still not comfortable with it, as this is not really the issue that concerns me.

Kelly149
Level 10
Austin, TX

Your original post is confusing bc the third party booking is clearly not allowed. Easy.

But it now sounds like what you really want to know is: what to do about a booking by an 18YO that also includes a 17YO?

That is alot harder. Don't know that ABB will back you up. I might make an attempt to tell them that the 18YOs are welcome but any unaccompanied minors will not be admitted without parent/guardian. You could call your local Child Protection Services and ask them for their advice. If they frown on or endorse the idea then that might give you some direction with the guest.

Good luck

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

ABB does not allow Third Party Bookings.

IB allows you to cancel any booking you are uncomfortable with.

Otherwise approve or deny.

David
Allison233
Level 2
Flagstaff, AZ

Hi Liz!

I was interested in your thread because we recently had an 18-year-old book, with minor "friends" accompanying.  It was the first time we'd had a group of minor + barely adults staying so I figured I'd better look into AirBnB policies and AZ laws.

Here's a helpful link I found about AZ lodging laws.  I assume that as AirBnB hosts, since we pay transient lodging taxes, we also fall under innkeeping laws. Look at page 17.

http://www.azlta.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/2014-AZ-Law-Manual-Rev-Jul-2014.pdf

It sounds like AirBnB could use some clearer policies on hosting to minors, but ultimately, AZ law & our own judgment whether a guest is "apparently responsible and of good conduct" seem like the most clear and binding guiding principles.

Hi Allison!

Im wondering, are there many airbnb's up your way? I often get guests that would have preferred to room out your way....

A nd those laws, could it be more complicated???

One thing that stands in most people's favor is this, if you are not required to have a business license in your area, then you are not tecnically a business in the sense of being an inn keeper, or at least that's how it is seen in Yavapai county. It's more like a room mate agreement. And, while someone could attempt to take you to court, it's highly unlikely... AND there is no court that will rule in your favor it you are found negligent to provide appropriate supervision and someone is hurt. Like, I'm really gonna go cruise by the rental house every hour checking on them.

The bottom line for us out this way is that, it's my home so i can make pretty much my own rules and as long as Airbnb is ok with it, I'm gonna keep it.