Miscommunication with a host

Aspen-Dreams0
Level 1
Monrovia, CA

Miscommunication with a host

I am visiting my dad, who was diagnosed with cancer. It is a very stressful situation for me. I booked a location specifically because it had "hot tub" listed as one of it's amenities. I knew that after visiting with my sick father that I would need to come back and relax in a peaceful place that had the amentities I needed for relaxing. Then I could go back and see my dad again the next day with a little strength.

Prior to booking, I brought up the "hot tub" amenity and asked if we would be able to use it in the morning and evenings. She stated "It has been very hot outside. The tub is 103. I am not sure you want to be outdoors when it is so hot. BUT you are welcome to use it." I asked her if it would be available and ready for us (because I know that it takes time to pre-heat sometimes). She said "it will be ready for us to use." We decided to book this location ONLY after she confirmed the information about the hot tub.

When I arrived for check-in I was informed that the "hot tub" was a typical bath tub in a tub/shower combo in a very small guest bathroom. I just drove for 1.5 days and arrived to this disappointment. 

The host DOES have a hot tub and pool in their back yard, but are not willing to allow guests access to it. Additionally, when trying to message the host regarding the ammenity, they stated that the bathtub is the "hot tub" and that the item outside beside the pool is "ONLY EVER CALLED a spa." They stated that a "spa" is NOT a hot tub. They have lived in this country for over 13 years. I am not sure how they can state this about an amenity name that is known by over 3 continents world wide.

We have not completed our first night at this location yet. We are trying to decide if we should stay or not. We NEVER would have paid the price we are paying if we had known what we know now.

I tried to message the host about it. When we asked her about the hot tub that is beside the pool outside in the backyard, the host stated that there aren't even gas lines out to the hot tub. She stated that we are only her 3rd guest ever and that she has never had a complaint about this. She also stated that she is a wealthy house wife/mother who is using this as her hobby to pay for her makeup and play money. She has not made any offers to us to resolve the situation. This listing is FAR more expensive than what we would have paid for it if we had known. We feel we have been lied to. And now, all of the other options in the area are no longer available. There are not any other Air BnB locations that have this amenity in the area. 

We are torn: Should we stay here tonight? Should we leave right away? What do we do?

Please help. I'm stressed out and am not sure how to handle this. I just want to be able to focus on my time with my dad & not feel swindold by this host.

By the way, we are also Air BnB hosts. We have roughly 30 guests through our home every month. We understand how to deal with listings and how to deal with guests. Our listings are very accurate and we have never had a guest complain about accuracy. We get 4-5 star reviews from over 80% of our guests (conservatively).

7 Replies 7
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I know what a HotTub is, and it isnt a bath.

Quite how important it is to you is another matter. Only you can decide.

An issue for the Resolution Center.

Can you post the listing?

David

Post this to Abnb Facebook page immediately...someone will get back to you very quickly.   Calling Abnb is practically useles.  Just copy and past your above comments to their wall.

This is outrageous.

Ok, I just did. 

Ed23
Level 1
Janesville, WI

We were able to personally look at an Airbnb condo in Mesa, AZ in February 2016. We then paid in advance for a winter 2017 booking. The renters in 2016 were able to park in the garage. We gave no thought to the issue. In August 2016 looking again online we found the host had added word usage preventing future guests from parking in the garage. We messaged her and she replied that she never said guests could use the garage. AirBNB simply supported her and brushed us off. The homeowners association requires vehicles to be in the garage so the host and AirBNB are in effect requiring us to violate local regulations. Airbnb says they require hosts to obey local rules. What are we to do? We can't get a refund and need to use the garage for health issues. Any suggestions

Go back to AirBnB and ask them to confirm what the wording was at the time of your booking. Don't be brushed off so easily in this instance. I think you have been brushed off by AirBnB as one would have expected you to double checked parking arrangements with the host if they were for health issues. Good luck.

Thanks for your reply.  I did just that and realized my mistake at the time of booking. We were allowed to view the condo and the renter was using the garage. There was no wording on the listing specifying the garage was ok to use. The listing showed it as a condo with 2 bedrooms and a garage but the amenities only listed parking, not parking in the garage. She later added the part denying garage use. This was our first Airbnb rental and will probably be our last. I guess it is just buyer beware and we were naive - not realizing how lawyered up and anti guest Airbnb would turn out to be. I guess if I were a lawyer we would be better prepared to deal with this sort of thing.  Their website emphasized trust but Airbnb practices are anything but trustfull. Thanks for reading my rant. In the future we will pay more for hotels but won't get burnt like this.

Victoria115
Level 1
Las Vegas, NV

It's people like her that ruin a good thing for people. You can be nice and say she misrepresented , but she out right lied. No excuse Money back , discount and no good review. Help the next person. I'm so Sorry for your Experience. Vegas