Mutual cancellation

John2252
Level 2
Richmond, Canada

Mutual cancellation

Hello, I am the host and we need to cancel one booking. Guest who booked it also agreed to cancel. We want to ensure that booking is canceled with NO penaly for us, host and guest receive their full refund as well. How do we do this ?

6 Replies 6
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@John2252,

If it is within 48 hours of booking, guests have option to free cancellation (full refund).Otherwise penalties will be involved if you cancel, and due to your cancellation policy guest will not receive full refund if they cancel. (they will loose Airbnb service fee anyway, even if you refund manually). Only Airbnb itself can cancel without penalties(host) or losing money (guest), but then you or the guest has to contact them and have a reasonable story for the cancellation.

Best regards,

Emiel

That makes sense. Thank you for your quick assistance. I guess I have to take a hit in this case but I will try contacting Airbnb and see if they can cancel mutually.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Why do you need to cancel @John2252 ?

If there are extenuating circumstances you can claim under their policy for this.

As a guest I wouldn't cancel for a host as they only appy to do this three times. under this policy.

Hi Helen, thank you for your response. We need to cancel for private reasons. We haven't ever canceled anything in 3+ years but guest was very nice and already booked another place via Airbnb. Just need to make sure no penalties for us. I've contacted Airbnb already.

@John2252 If you do cancel from your side without contacting airbnb you WILL be penalised by airbnb. You wont be able to become a superhost for a year and it will say on your listing that you cancelled a booking which is not great for upcoming/potentiel guests to read. Just so you are aware of the consequenses. I would contact airbnb and let them cancel. 

Hi Sandra, thank you for your response. Yes, we want to avoid penalty regardless. Having said that being a superhost is not a big deal. It doesn't mean much to us anyway. We have already contacted them and will see what they say.

Thanks!