My dates are blocked due to a cancellation.

Jasneth0
Level 1
Augusta, GA

My dates are blocked due to a cancellation.

My guest misread my policy and booked my home.  When I explained my rates he stated that he wanted to cancel.  I informed him to cancel which he did.  I confirmed his concellation.  Now the dates are blocked on my calendar and I received a message stating I will be receiving a bad rating.  How do I get airbnb to unblock those dates, due to it being no fault of my own.  If not I want to cancell the account.

4 Replies 4
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You do not confirm cancellations, I can understand the confusion as your text does not match how you have listed the property.

David
Maria-Lurdes0
Level 10
Union City, NJ

Hi @Jasneth0 whether you meant to or not, you cancelled, not the guest.  You've fallen prey to a very sneak thing that Airbnb does (at least six posts about this in last two days).   They encourage the guest to ask YOU to cancel, in order for the guest to recoup the service fee.  If the guest cancels, Airbnb keeps the service fee.  So the very bad solution that Airbnb has come up with is to provide guests with a way to email the host with an innocent request like "X wants to cancel, please confirm if you accept".   You hit accept, and boom, YOU have cancelled, and now you lose in three ways 1) as you've seen, your calendar is blocked 2) you have an automatic review saying "this host cancelled the booking X days in advance 3) you are ineligible for Superhost status for one year.

Call Airbnb (and search on the forum for contact numbers, they are not easy to find anywhere else) and tell that that you do not accept, this was a tricky way to get you to cancel, you object to this practice, etc  Or else do nothing and live with what has happened, and learn from this mistake.   It's a crappy thing and tons of hosts are getting burned by this.

@Maria-Lurdes0

Hi Maria

I have blocked dates as well due to a cancellation but here's the thing, I didn’t cancel the booking the potential guest cancelled, after 4 hours of placing the booking.

My calendar is still showing "Nasi" as a booking, I’m going to leave it there to see what happens for two reasons,

1. Curiosity.
  2. because I don’t have the time to go through the torturous Airbnb process to have it removed.

Could it be still their, so AirBnb can collect their fee for the booking and it’s like a reminder for them?

Thankyou for this information, do you know what the service fees are?