My first conflict with a guest...

Answered!
Mindy-And-Craig0
Level 2
Steamboat Springs, CO

My first conflict with a guest...

I need advice. I rent out my entire condo in a ski town and my guests just checked in for the night. He is upset because it says in the listing there is a free bus around Steamboat. There is in fact a free bus around Steamboat and the listing says "There is a free bus around town". He is upset because he thinks it insinuates there is a free shuttle from the door of the complex. The bus stop is about a quarter of a mile from the complex and if you cut through a parking lot it is very quick.

I explained this when I was on the phone with him and offered a refund of $100 so that he could uber around town while he 'gets his bearings' since he got in while it was dark. His suggestion was he take uber all week, keep the receipts and I refund that amount. I told him that would be kind of ridiculous, apologized that he had been confused by the listing but explained that I had not been misleading.

Do you think I did ok? I'm so uncomfortable that he was unhappy, as I have never had anyone unhappy or unsatisfied, but I truly believe I did not do anything wrong.

1 Best Answer

Yes I'm beginning to understand this, today he is upset there is not a hair drier because it's cold... on a ski vacation. No, I do not list a hair drier and it is not checked on my amenities list. 

View Best Answer in original post

14 Replies 14
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

You should be clearer in your description of where the bus picks up from....however, asking you to fun his taxi trips is not on. I would suggest that you ask AirBnB to find him an alternative accommodation. Let your guest know you are going to do this and I will be they will change their mind. Tell them that you think it is best as there is clearly a misundertanding as to what was stated and you want them to be happy with where they are staying.

I guess you will probably get a bad review, so think carefully about you may wish to say in response...keep it brief and you will come out on top.

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

I think your description is fine and I think you are VERY reasonable. Obviously your previous guest understood your listing and that is why you have such glowing reviews. I would suggest you point out that it was your guests misreading of the listing and they are free to cancel but under your cancelation policy. You can’t do much about a retaliatory review other than comment on it when/if it happens. Good luck

Dede0
Level 10
Austin, TX

@Mindy-And-Craig0 I wouldn't knuckle under to this guest (do as @Gerry-And-Rashid0 and @David-and-Fiona0 have suggested), but I would (as some suggested) make a minor adjustment to your listing text to make it clear how far from you the bus stop is. 1/4 mile takes the average person about 5 minutes to walk, which isn't much. Mention, as briefly as possible, both the distance and estimated time. Then there's no room for argument.

And I wouldn't even offer the guest $100 credit toward Uber. They're going to ding you in their review no matter what you do.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

I have been to Steamboat, I have been on the free bus.

Obviously the guy has a vehicle, how did they get there without one?

Nowhere does ot mention that the bus stop is outside the door and there is no reason to think it would be.

Sadly there are idiots everywhere.

David

They flew into Steamboat and took a shuttle to the condo.

Dee33
Level 10
Reston, VA

Agree with the others. Offer nicely to find him other accomodations; he will probably back down. Add the distance to your listing just to clarify for future. I would not pay his Uber fees.

If he's there to ski, but thinks that a 5 minute walk to the bus is too much, I wonder what he will say about getting back up the mountain, lol.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Mindy-And-Craig0

Along with everything other hosts have suggested I'd like to add that you make sure you keep your reply on the booking message page if you haven't already; if necessary reiterate his request. Keep it friendly but professional. One thing to keep in mind is how do you think a hotel would handle this. I mean seriously, some guests somehow seem to think that because it's Airbnb they can get tons of freebies for their much-lower-than-a-hotel price...

Yes I'm beginning to understand this, today he is upset there is not a hair drier because it's cold... on a ski vacation. No, I do not list a hair drier and it is not checked on my amenities list. 

I don't see how "shuttle around town" means door to door service.

Regarding the hairdryer, I would probably pick one up. About 25% of our guests use it and seem to appreciate having it available. I would make sure both issues are documented in the message board. Good luck.

They are here for a week so I'll pick one up in the morning and give it to them. Thanks for the suggestion!

I had forgotten there was a small airport nearby, and most Colorado ski resorts have a free bus service around town. If something like that was a bigg issue you might expect somebody to check.

I have been asked about the free bus service for Breckenridge and how far it is to walk, 45 minute drive.

David

There is a super small airport in town, and a bigger one in Hayden- which brings a lot of tourists in.

Mindy-And-Craig0
Level 2
Steamboat Springs, CO

Update: Thanks everybody for the replies! I was mostly upset because the man called me and was so upset and telling me I had been dishonest. I think the issue has been resolved, I just hate to see someone uphappy! Hoping his trip turns around and it can be a positive experience.

@Mindy-And-Craig0 To improve the chances for a good review, when you drop off the hair dryer, I suggest actually thanking the guest for bringing that to your attention, and (say with a straight face) "that's a really great idea!".

And be sure to check hairdryer in your list of Amenities.

I'd also recommend providing an iron if you don't have one, as that's one more amenity people might include in their search filters, and it's cheap enough, and (I find) some people actually do use them. (Of course, if you provide an iron, that sort of implies having an ironing board, too. The small ones suffice.)